News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Which Model Do I Have (Supergrind 2000?)

Started by buz, January 27, 2009, 01:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buz

I have had my Tormek since mid (late) 1992. It was a gift to me from my family (parents and siblings). They graciously included many attachments, small and large knife, scissor, one for chisels, truer, grader, maybe others too - . Sept 07 I had to rebuild it, as I have read elsewhere in the forum, I disassembled the entire machine. Had to replace the shaft, nuts and washers - wound up replacing the grinding wheel too. Had the body sand blasted at the local welding shop, then primed and painted as close a green as I could find. IIRC the folks here at SharperToolsUSA 'gave' me a new wheel when it was discovered the new shaft wouldn't properly mount my old wheel. I was naturally 'amazed' at the service. IIRC it was a slightly used returned wheel.

Oh yeah - so I wonder what model I have. There doesn't appear to be a serial number anywhere. Beyond that I'm wondering what modifications may be available for it. I see the newer ones have a front mounted bar instead of top mounted one - is there a mod I can do to achieve this? Also, been reading about planer blade grinding and wonder if my machine is set up for that attachment?

In the forums I see reference to a 'parts' link but can't seem to find it. Nor can I find a link to 'legacy' machines.

Thanks and nice to meet you.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

buz

I've answered one of my questions - link to parts - need to click on Where to Buy > USA (from drop down) > Tormekstore.com (or one of the other two, online retailers, brick and mortar retailers).

Still curious about my other questions, I haven't seen an example of the machine I have anywhere, one came close, believe it was the SG 2000 but it's 'housing' was kinda like a mansard roof profile whereas mine is totally rectangular - straight up front and back - like a flat roof profile.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Jeff Farris

buz,

The square frame and the five-sided frame are the same model number (2000). The five-sided frame was introduced in 2001.  It offers slightly better clearance on some turning tool work in the horizontal position. 

The horizontal mount is easy to add to your machine.  It is in the store section called "Replacements & Upgrades".  It's product code is XB-100.  The horizontal mount is an advantage for turning tools and other tools where the tool shape is not flat.

Your machine is fully capable of doing planer blades.
Jeff Farris

buz

Thank you Jeff,

I'll be adding the planer attachment for sure - along with more honing compound. Not sure the horizontal mount would benefit me in that case - not in to turning (yet ;) ).

Are the adjustable bars also useable on my machine? Maybe a better question, are there attachments / upgrades not suitable for my machine?

Thanks for the model info.

Jeff Farris

Yes, the micro-adjustable Universal Support (US-105) works perfectly with your machine.

The only thing that doesn't work on your machine is the measuring scale that indicates the wheel diameter.
Jeff Farris