News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Chatter With the Scissor Jig

Started by Kevin, June 10, 2004, 12:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

When sharpening scissors according to the method in the book, there is a lot of chatter or instability at the grinding interface.

Is there a recommended method to keep the chatter down to a minimum?

The chatter happens in the region where the scissor is not clamped in the jig, AND it happens in the region where the scissor is clamped in the jig.

If there is no chatter, there are straight lines where the grinding wheel removed material or pulled out grains, depending on the material and heat treatment.

If there is chatter, the grinding marks leave a rough surface that does not have the normal grinding marks.  The surface looks slightly dull, and the surface finish will snag on newspaper when it is drawn across the surface.  The actual shearing surfaces do not cut well if the tool was ground while chatter was going on.

RussH

I have had the same concern with scissors.  The 60-degrees has something to do with that.  Have chosen to take more "passes" over the wheel with the blade with less pressure.  This seems to have mitigated most of the concern for me.   Try it.

Russ

Kevin

I am personally under the impression that the scissors should be ground with the stone turning away from the scissors to remove the chatter.  The only trick is to make sure that the scissors do not slip or move while grinding.  I have not tried that method at this time.  My scissors are still sharp.

Jeff Farris

Make sure the stone is carefully graded to the fine cutting surface.  The fast cutting action will be too aggressive for most scissors.  I always do scissors with the wheel turning in...that could be strictly out of habit.  There is some chatter, but if it is severe, your stone is too rough and/or you are using too much pressure.
Jeff Farris