News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Chart Interpretation & Skew Question

Started by windknots, September 26, 2008, 10:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windknots

I'm a new Tormek user and have a question about the little "a" or "alpha" symbol used in the edge geometery charts.  Does this signify the bevel angle?  My confusion started when I looked at the new angle chart posted on the Tormek web site.  The chart for bowl gouges 1&2 shows the same "a", the same jig settings ,but lists different profiles.

The skew question concerns the radiused skew.  When using the jig I presume the handle does not have to be swung to follow the curve.  I have the large Alan Lacer skew and realize the jig won't work for this size skew.

Jeff Farris

Quote from: windknots on September 26, 2008, 10:09:32 PM
I'm a new Tormek user and have a question about the little "a" or "alpha" symbol used in the edge geometery charts.  Does this signify the bevel angle?  My confusion started when I looked at the new angle chart posted on the Tormek web site.  The chart for bowl gouges 1&2 shows the same "a", the same jig settings ,but lists different profiles.

The difference is in how far you take the tool in its arc.  In #1 the tool is swept from approximately 45? left of center to approximately 45? right of center.  In #2 the gouge is swept from 90? left of center to 90? right of center.

QuoteThe skew question concerns the radiused skew.  When using the jig I presume the handle does not have to be swung to follow the curve.  I have the large Alan Lacer skew and realize the jig won't work for this size skew.

The tool has to be swung.  The front edge of the jig acts as pivot point.
Jeff Farris

windknots

Jeff - Thanks for the prompt reply.   I'm sure your first thoughts were "Why doesnt the *&%$#*&^* guy review the material that came with his unit.  Now that I have a working DVD player again, I did just that and found my questions answered.  I also found that my skew problems were with a convex bevel.  This was not evident until  I used the Tormek wide wheel. The long point and short point do not touch the wheeel at the same time.  Looks like some reshaping is in order.  Again thanks for the response.

I might add that I might have recovered some of the Tormek cost if I had it up and operating about a month ago.  My wife got fed up with her set of dull kitchen knives she bought a new set.  We now have two sets of kitchen knives.  One set with sharp blades and  nice new handles and one set with sharp blades and old handles.