News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a practical combination

Started by Ken S, October 20, 2024, 03:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

For a while we seemed to have a number of posts concerning the SVM vs KJ knife jigs. Like many of us, I have accumulated a number of knife jigs, including three KJ jigs. For those of us who are contemplating acquiring several knife jigs, here are some thoughts:

Consider the number of and the kind of knives you plan to sharpen. For the sharpener who basically sharpens his own half a dozen knives, just one regular jig will probably suffice. If you are concerned about self centering, make it the KJ-45.While the adjustable end stop of the SVM jigs may seem essential for high volume sharpening, it is hardly essential for just a few knives. If you actually sharpen flexible long fillet knives, you may also want a longer jig. In my case, my boning knife is too short for the 140mm jigs, but that's just me. Flexible knives are not thick knives, so self centering is not a big factor for them.For very small knives, a homemade small platform or SVM-00 may be useful.

Among my knife jigs are two modified with Woorz's milling idea (,5 and 1.0 mm). I believe the KJ-45 can easily handle thicker bushcraft knives in smaller volume; however, higher volume sharpeners who sharpen a lot of these knives might feel the modified SVM jigs more efficient.

For anyone sharpening a number of longer kitchen knives, I would recommend acquiring a US-430 before more jigs.

Ken