News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Machete - curved blade - how to sharpen.

Started by piotr.galecki, September 25, 2024, 11:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piotr.galecki

Hello,

I have a request for help in choosing a sharpening method for a Fikars XA23 WoodXpert machete with a curved blade on the Tormek T-8.

I would like to ask for help in choosing both the appropriate method of attaching the machete (in which device and how to attach it), and the method of conducting the correct sharpening of the blade curved inwards.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Piotr

Ken S

tgbto

Hi Piotr,

No jig will help you sharpen such a blade on the Tormek. If you use a jig you will only be able to sharpen the convex part of the blade, and you will dent/overgrind the concave part.

So you're pretty much left with (freehand) grinding on the (rounded out) shoulder of the wheel, and the convex part will be quite finicky. Grinding on the side of the wheel increase the pressure *a lot* so you're on dangerous ground.

Give it a shot if you "only" have a Tormek, but with low pressure and checking your work often. I'm not sure with the shape of the wheel and the shape of the blade you'll be able to grind everywhere at the desired angle, and honing will probably be even worse. So I'd "hone" with a ceramics rod instead of the leather wheel in the concave area.

If I had to do that I'd rather go with a rod-based sharpening system with a semicylindrical/triangular stone, or a belt sander with a slack, thin belt. That would give much more control.