News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wierd shape of blade

Started by skärparn, September 15, 2024, 07:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skärparn

Hi! Been using T8 about 6 months. Often pleased with the results but I have one big problem. Some knifes, havent yet seen the exact pattern, gets a wierd shape of the blade after sharpening. Same problem both with KJ-140 and 45. Please see attached images. Can someone point out what Im doing wrong?

Drilon

Hi Skärparn,
do you sharpen by moving the knife back and forth? It seems to be the problem of the middle overgrinding.

Always sharpen from the handle to the tip.

Regards,
Drilon

RickKrung

Too much dwell time in that middle section?  I think it can also happen even when only going from handle to tip.  Possibly could be exacerbated by uneven pressure as the blade passes along the stone
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

skärparn

Quote from: Drilon on September 15, 2024, 08:07:09 PMHi Skärparn,
do you sharpen by moving the knife back and forth? It seems to be the problem of the middle overgrinding.

Always sharpen from the handle to the tip.

Regards,
Drillen

Hi, thanks for your answer!

Yes I move the knife back and forth, as seen on most instruction clips on Youtube. Do you mean I should go from handle to tip and then lift off the stone and start over by the handle side again?

//

skärparn

Quote from: RickKrung on September 16, 2024, 03:28:23 AMToo much dwell time in that middle section?  I think it can also happen even when only going from handle to tip.  Possibly could be exacerbated by uneven pressure as the blade passes along the stone

Thanks for your answer! That's possible, I think it's easy that you apply more pressure just where the jigg sits because you also have your hand right there. Maybe more common with long knives since more of the blade are out of the jigg. That's why I thought it might be a solution to use KJ 140 but same problem..

Ringarn67

This is what  Vadim (RIP) posted eight years ago.
https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?msg=16442
And there is some links in thread to even older posts from other users

Välkommen i gänget och Lycka Till  :)

skärparn

Quote from: Ringarn67 on September 16, 2024, 09:15:55 PMThis is what  Vadim (RIP) posted eight years ago.
https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?msg=16442
And there is some links in thread to even older posts from other users

Välkommen i gänget och Lycka Till  :)

Thank you, I will look through that thread!

Tack så mycket :D