News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Diamond wheel: 350, 600, or 1200?

Started by Rusty Rivers, September 10, 2024, 02:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty Rivers

Hey guys, I am looking for a little feedback on my first diamond wheel purchase. I have a T8 with the standard wheel and a Japanese waterstone wheel. I'd like to upgrade to a diamond wheel for turning tools and to be able to use the side of the stone when sharpening.

Since I cant afford to buy all three grits at once, I wanted to ask if anyone has a reccomendation for the best 'all purpose' grit? Assuming 600 grit is the best for an 'all purpose' stone?

Thanks in advance.

Rusty

Ken S

Rusty,

I agree with your assumption that the DF-250 600 grit diamond wheel is the best "all purpose" wheel. Like all diamond wheels, it will require a few tool sharpenings before the initial coarseness calms down. With this in mind, start with your dullest tools. After that, keep your tools regularly sharp. Your sharpening sessions will go more quickly and your turnings will be cleaner.

Sebastien, Tormek's Sales Director and one of the online instructors, also recommends the DF-250. the DF-250.

Ken

RichColvin

Rusty,

When I use a diamond wheel (which is less often these days as I usually use the SG-250), I use the DF-250.  

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Rusty Rivers

As always, thank you for the insightful feedback guys. This site has been a blessing as I continue learning all the in's and out's of Tormek (and probably spending too much on my hobbies!).

Rusty

Ken S

I once attempted to watch a 42 minute youtube about a supposedly already reasonably sharp knife being "sharpened" with only a 4000 grit SJ-250. It was painful to watch. I gave up halfway through. Unlike the SJ, (a polishing stone), the DF diamond wheel is a sharpening wheel designed to remove metal. It is slower than the coarser DC wheel, but it is also smoother cutting. It is plenty fast for most sharpening, and rewards the patient sharpener with smoother edges and longer tool life. While the initial sharpening may take longer, a careful user will only experience this once.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Rusty Rivers on September 10, 2024, 02:38:48 AMHey guys, I am looking for a little feedback on my first diamond wheel purchase. I have a T8 with the standard wheel and a Japanese waterstone wheel. I'd like to upgrade to a diamond wheel for turning tools and to be able to use the side of the stone when sharpening.

Since I cant afford to buy all three grits at once, I wanted to ask if anyone has a reccomendation for the best 'all purpose' grit? Assuming 600 grit is the best for an 'all purpose' stone?

Thanks in advance.

Rusty

I'm a bit thrown off by the initial question and some of the responses.  First off, I know nothing about turning tools and sharpening them, so maybe that is partially the reason. 

I'm unclear on the benefit of having only one grit level of diamond (or CBN) wheels for the purpose of using the side of the wheel on turning tools, in combination with the "multi-grit" SG wheel.  Part of my confusion comes from my perspective that if I only had one grit of diamond/CBN to complement the SG, I would want something much coarser, such as 80 or 180 grit, but I don't sharpen turning tools and don't use the side of the diamond/CBN wheels that I have. 

I also wonder how much it matters which wheel to start with if one intends to get all three diamond wheels as they can be afforded.  I'm sure much depends on the rate at which the others can be afforded. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Ken S on September 12, 2024, 03:53:51 PMI once attempted to watch a 42 minute youtube about a supposedly already reasonably sharp knife being "sharpened" with only a 4000 grit SJ-250. It was painful to watch.

I think we have all been there. Saying to myself "really!!!".

Ken S

Good point, John. What I do for the forum.  :-\

Ken