News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

BESS Testing

Started by Stovepipe, September 02, 2024, 12:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stovepipe

I've noticed the reading from the BESS measurement device vary according to the rate at which I move when cutting the wire. Quickly cut against the wire and the results show a much sharper knife. I was wondering if anyone made a device with which the knife could be mounted, such as the magnetic one from Schlelfjunkies, however, have it connected to a manual or motorized device which lowers at a constant uniform speed.
Mostly I just sharpen to get a knife usable in the kitchen and or boat. There are times though when I like to "Putz" around and see if a new technique produces better results. If someone or company does make such a device I would be more than thankful for that information.
Thank you for your time.

John Hancock Sr

The BESS tester is just a rough guide to sharpness. It is not designed to provide a repeatable consistent standards based sharpness test. The BESS tester bears no resemblance to a ISO sharpness test.

Your best way is to try to apply the edge consistently as best you can.

tgbto

In addition, the manual reads :

QuoteYour downward movement with the knife should be slow and deliberate. Try to find a seated
position with arms resting on the worktop for greater control and stability. If you can clearly see the
increase in force tick upward on the display either in 5 or 25 gram increments (depending on the
instrument you have purchased) then you know that you have taken the measurement correctly.

So if you "quickly cut against the wire", you're not measuring sharpness.

Stovepipe

Stovepipe

Drilon and John, thank you. Somehow I never saw the device on the German site.

RickKrung

Quote from: Stovepipe on September 02, 2024, 12:35:39 AMI've noticed the reading from the BESS measurement device vary according to the rate at which I move when cutting the wire. Quickly cut against the wire and the results show a much sharper knife. I was wondering if anyone made a device with which the knife could be mounted, such as the magnetic one from Schlelfjunkies, however, have it connected to a manual or motorized device which lowers at a constant uniform speed.
Mostly I just sharpen to get a knife usable in the kitchen and or boat. There are times though when I like to "Putz" around and see if a new technique produces better results. If someone or company does make such a device I would be more than thankful for that information.
Thank you for your time.

I have one of EOU's BESS testers, and was heavily involved with it use for a while.  But I got to where I learned what I needed to know about my sharpening process and now just about never use it any longer and, like you, just sharpen to make knives nicely sharp and usable. 

Also like you, I never noticed the device for controlling the testing process.  It looks to be decent enough, but it does look like it may still be prone to user variability and would benefit from being motorized or standardized in some manner.  Some years ago, I motorized the Tormek Truing Tool and now use it when truing any matrix grinding wheel (SG, SB, SJ and traditional grinding wheels fitted to the T8). There is a link in that thread showing it use, but here it is directly.  I have more of those motors and more of the threaded rod stock.  It could be interesting to make a motorized BESS testing fixture.  I have a spare dial comparator granite stand that could serve as the platform/column. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

My introduction to BESS testing was many years ago when Steve Bottorff sent me a now out of production KN100. It held the knife securely. The amount of pressure on the test medium was controlled by the number of BBs in the container above the knife. The procedure was slower, but seemed more accurate than with the present models.

With care, even the least expensive model will identify the presence of some burr. In my opinion, many of the inaccuracy problems blamed of the tester are really the result of poor technique. A fine violin skillfully played can produce beautiful music or noise if played by a poor player. I recently refreshed my BESS knowledge wth study of the sdgeonup.com website. Mike Brubacherand his creware continuing to innovate, even if some of the users Re not keeping pace.

Ken

Stovepipe

3D Anvil

I guess the fixed rate jigs provide the ultimate reliability, but I find that my results are highly repeatable if I just follow Edge on Up's instructions and go slowly enough to see the numbers advancing one by one.  I'd say it should take a minimum of 3-4 seconds, even for a very sharp knife.

From the manual:

"Remember Slow and Easy! We're not chopping carrots (at least not yet!) but measuring the sharpness of an edge. Your downward movement with the knife should be slow and deliberate. Try to find a seated position with arms resting on the worktop for greater control and stability. If you can clearly see the increase in force tick upward on the display either in 5 or 25 gram increments (depending on the instrument you have purchased) then you know that you have taken the measurement correctly. When the test media severs, the measurement is complete and your BESS score for that edge will be shown on the display."

3D Anvil

Stovepipe

very informative, thank you. I appreciated the difference between the clip and wire spool as I never knew that.

RickKrung

I like these better than that on the spools...  Never tried the BESS clips.
You cannot view this attachment.
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Stovepipe

I'm curious as to what results you get? is it comparable to the spool? Now I'm going to go out and purchase for my own use. Thank you. Very Clever!!!

Ken S

I believe the dental floss clips may have originally been an influence on the development of the BESS clips. However, it seems to me that flossing and BESS measuring have different product requirements. Dental floss, being used in the mouth, must have stringent sanitation requirements. BESS test filament must have stringent breaking control. Consistent breaking pressure control for dental floss and test filament sanitation seem like secondary priorities to me.
I can see possibility of dental clips as a replacement with the economy tester with 25 gram accuracy. That should provide enough accuracy to detect a burr for home use. Industrial users might require greater accuracy.

One of the skills machinists acquire through experience is sophisticated, consistent touch. I'm sure experienced BESS users like Wootz developed a similar consistency with filament tension and testing technique.

Ken