News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

US-430 anyone

Started by tgbto, August 02, 2024, 10:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regarding the US-430, the USB with a longer bar than the standard issue USB :

I don't own one, and I never or seldom sharpen knives on my Tormek
0 (0%)
I don't own one, and I often sharpen knives on my Tormek
6 (25%)
I own one, and I never or seldom sharpen knives on my Tormek
0 (0%)
I own one, and I find it useful only for long knives
1 (4.2%)
I own one, and I find it useful for all kinds of knives
17 (70.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

tgbto

Hey guys,

I was curious how many regular knife sharpeners felt like they had to buy the US-430. So here goes, thanks !

Ken S

I have several oversized support bars from various sources including both the Tormek US-400 and US-430. Between these two, the US-430 with its longer legs is definitely more useful. It can do a nice job with my Chinese vegetable cleaver,

In my opinion, every serious knife sharpener should consider adding one to his kit.

Ken 

John_B

Using the 430 gives me the option of leaving the standard support set up with a FVB on the honing wheel. Saves a lot of time when using FVB for precise honing.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,

Using two support bars is definitely a time saver.

Ken

JohnBb

US-430 is fine, but what about an US-900? With this bad boy Tormek can be used even as a sword sharpening machine :)

You cannot view this attachment.

cbwx34

Quote from: JohnBb on August 06, 2024, 06:21:36 PMUS-430 is fine, but what about an US-900? With this bad boy Tormek can be used even as a sword sharpening machine :)

Or...

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

JohnBb

cbwx34, thanks for the video, mate! And thanks again for the calc - love it.

It is a reasonable alternative to sharpen a machete. But how to use it with fancy shiny swords? This jig could scrape them up a lot. Personally I don't own one, but theoretically...

:D

Ken S

John,

A US-900 would look very impressive mounted on the wall behind your sharpening bench. I can see where it might be essential kit for a sharpener specializing in swords. However; for the average knife sharpener who essentially sharpens kitchen cutlery, the US-430 is much more practical.

CB, thanks for posting Herman's homemade small platform video. Ever since Herman made his jig, I have considered it essential kit for every knife sharpener. The original purpose was for very small knives. With the blade no wider than the width of the grinding wheel, unlike the larger Tormek platform, it can be used to grind the full length of both bevels without needing to be repositioned. For farmers market sharpening, it is also very fastto use. Herman demonstrates this in the video. For those of you new to the forum, Herman is a longtime valued member.

Ken

Columbo

Quote from: cbwx34 on August 06, 2024, 07:25:07 PM
Quote from: JohnBb on August 06, 2024, 06:21:36 PMUS-430 is fine, but what about an US-900? With this bad boy Tormek can be used even as a sword sharpening machine :)

Or...

What's the hole for at the base of your added angle plate?