News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

What lube for T8 main shaft?

Started by Columbo, July 15, 2024, 09:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Columbo

Hello everyone, my name is Phil (Filippo) I'm a newbie to sharpening but eager, motivated & excited to learn from you very skilled members.

First off I want to thank you all for posting topics and feedback to just about everything a newbie can learn from. And especially KEN for encouraging me to post.

I lucked out and purchased a brand new T8 black in Canada. I also ordered the HTK – 806 hand tool kit, a Bess PT50A, a microscope and various sized USBs-80cm. Various grits of CBNs wheels 80,160, 400 & 1000 that can be run with water (they word it's safe) from Hans @ Slipakniven from Sweden. From them I'm also awaiting a storage rack, adaptor for two wheels, drip tray for two wheels. Tormek's new Angle Setter and of course the stock DF 600 grit diamond wheel that came with the unit & its composite wheel. Honestly, I don't know why I'm mentioning all these things certainly not ego driven but moreso it may help you all in the future to offer input to my struggles.

You may ask why did I order all these things upfront while still learning. Well I could say that I'm crazy and obsessed, which is a trait that I own but also I'd like to have most of the things in place up front.

An interesting future topic may be let's see the area some of you have created to accommodate your knife sharpening units. Pictures of your areas can be very helpful to a newbie who is thinking about possible set-up areas. Inside and no worries with CBN cracking when run wet. I know they can be run dry as well and to allow the CBN's when run wet to dry them afterwards.

Finally to the friggin question after writing this thesis.
My question is around lubricating the main shaft when need be. I noticed at least one posting that I read from back in 2016 on various lubes. Having read that post and your input to various types ie: food grade or not, I've learned a few things thank you.
I sort of want a bottom line or a hit link to the best of the best or at least the best in a lube that I can buy and have on hand. Any links?

Thank you for allowing me to join. Sincerely, I do.

Filippo

Ken S

Filippo,

You won't go wrong with this:

https://www.jbtools.com/permatex-80345-white-lithium-grease-1-5-oz/

This size tube should last for years. Your local hardware store probably stocks this or something similar.

Ken

Columbo

Thank you so much for the straight up link Ken.