News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Diamond T4 expensive water issue

Started by Swemek, May 22, 2024, 01:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swemek

Hello all!

This is my first post here. I have been into knives for a short while and found my self getting even more into the world of sharpening knives, or anything one can get sharp. I have already tried a couple of sharpening systems, as Work Sharp (Ken Onion) and a few guided rod systems as a Hapstone R2.

None of the above ways to sharpen knives made me impressed, which pushed me to try a Tormek before giving up. Or not a Tormek, but an ugly rip off from a place called Jula. Almost every part of the unit was a copy of the T4.

This way of sharpening knives was a game changer, fun, controlled and very effective, if it wasn't for the wobbley wheels, ratteling from the inside of the housing, a almost circular leather wheel that refused to absorb any sort of compound. The USB only reminded of 90 degrees and even a newbie like me suspected that the knife jig would be better off without the slope towards left.

The best of me did in fact get the KJ-45 which made clamping a blade perfectly centered and firm, a breeze. The clone was returned, lesson learned and i was proud T4 owner.

I just have one issue, which i believe is connected to the diamond wheel i got yesterday, since the water stays in the trough with the original stone. The fact that i sharpen knives, rather than chisels, maybe is amplifying the problem when the water travels across the blade and falls outside the trough.

I have searched the forum but didn't find a soulution and i was hoping that someone here has found some sort of workaround.

Thanks!

PS. The DF-200 cuts beautiful!

tgbto

Hi !

I think your best bet for these would be found in the 3D-printing community. For instance :

This trough drip collector or this one here. I use a similar one for my T-8 almost all of the time.  Of course that only works if you have access to a printer.

Although to be honest, water spillage has been tremendously reduced since I first began to use the Tormek. Having the trough set so the water goes just over the wheel but not too much, lifting just as required, all those eventually result in very little water spillage. My drip tray (or the T-8 collector on the trough side) now only get a few drops for each knife.

Swemek

Quote from: tgbto on May 22, 2024, 02:11:47 PMHi !

I think your best bet for these would be found in the 3D-printing community. For instance :

This trough drip collector or this one here. I use a similar one for my T-8 almost all of the time.  Of course that only works if you have access to a printer.

Although to be honest, water spillage has been tremendously reduced since I first began to use the Tormek. Having the trough set so the water goes just over the wheel but not too much, lifting just as required, all those eventually result in very little water spillage. My drip tray (or the T-8 collector on the trough side) now only get a few drops for each knife.

Thanks!

The knife i sharpened yesterday had an Angle of 13 dps and today i sharpened a knife at 15 dps and the spillage wasn't nearly as bad. I suspect that the angle dictates how the water behaves.