News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New angle jig KS-123

Started by John Hancock Sr, May 20, 2024, 09:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perra

Quote from: TireguyfromMA on May 21, 2024, 05:37:17 AMPlaced my order with Sharpening Supplies for the KS-123 about five minutes after I got the email from TORMEK. The cost was $50, I thought they were going to cost more, so pleased with the price. 

Will I be able to use this to set the angle on the honing wheel also? 

Yes, it has a self-adjustment function for different grinding an honing wheel sizes.

Ken S

The new KS-123 jig is impressive. I predict that it will soon become the preferred method of knife setting. However, like most of the improved Tormek jigs and accessories, there are some cases where the present tools and techniques may be better suited. I will not be discarding my modified SVM-45s and kenjigs. Nor will I be deleting Calcapp. They are still as useful as they always were, even if in many cases the KS-123 is more useful.

Ken

darita

Quote from: Ken S on May 21, 2024, 04:37:36 PMThe new KS-123 jig is impressive. I predict that it will soon become the preferred method of knife setting. However, like most of the improved Tormek jigs and accessories, there are some cases where the present tools and techniques may be better suited. I will not be discarding my modified SVM-45s and kenjigs. Nor will I be deleting Calcapp. They are still as useful as they always were, even if in many cases the KS-123 is more useful.

Ken

High praise for sure. Can't wait to try it!

John Hancock Sr

AlInAussieLand

Quote from: John Hancock Sr on May 22, 2024, 04:26:43 AMHmmmm ... first Australian listing - AU$95 That is quite a mark up

https://www.woodtamer.com.au/collections/frontpage/products/ks-123-knife-angle-setter
$20,- more is 3 schooners of beer. I can live with that  :D

Ken S

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=50&From=USD&To=AUD

I live in the US and know very little about marketing in Australia. However, I have seen numerous examples of excessive pricing in the US by Internet "dealers". The ads often claimed to offer a "discount" from inflated "list" prices. The ads often claim "free shipping"

When I want an accurate price in the US, I always check Hartville Hardware and Sharpening Supplies. I know and trust both of these establishments. I suggest you look around and compare. Check the Tormek website for Australian resellers. You will want to establish a long term customer relationship based on trust and good service. We have numerous Australian members on this forum. Use their experience and wisdom.

Ken

John_B

I like that you can also use it on the leather wheel. I have been honing at 1.5° more than sharpening angle and this tool will make setup easy. Keeping a constant projection distance between knives means multiple knives with no support bar adjustments.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Ken S on May 22, 2024, 03:45:51 PMI live in the US and know very little about marketing in Australia.

We are often rorted by importers. Many a time I have bought much cheaper from overseas, including shipping and taxes. Some product lines more than others. Sony for instance is more than three times the $$ price here than in the US for not reason than it is. Take into account exchange rate and the reset that is about 50% over the odds. It is not as bad now that the Australian government clarified the law on parallel imports.

Speaking only about this jig, As per the current exchange rates a US$50 unit is AU75 add import taxes and that is $81.63 not $95. Someone is making an additional 15% profit.

As Charlie Brown used to say, you can't fight city hall ;)

John Hancock Sr

Now all we need is one for the SE-77

cbwx34

Quote from: John Hancock Sr on May 23, 2024, 02:05:01 AMNow all we need is one for the SE-77

Rich Colvin has a jig he made for using with the SE-77 that you might find helpful...

Projection Jig for the TTS-100
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tcsharpen

My KS-123 arrived today. I first set up to sharpen a kitchen knife using the KJ-45 jig with the KS-123. After getting it all adjusted, I then measured the projection and entered the values into Calcapp which said the USB height should be 88.6mm. Measuring this after the angle setter was used yielded 88.7mm.  I'd say this is well within specs of my inexpensive digital caliper used to take the measurement.

Even the first setup was quick after having watched the Tormek video.

I then used the angle setter to set the honing angle to 1 degree greater. Simple, with great results.

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 23, 2024, 02:26:07 AMRich Colvin has a jig he made for using with the SE-77 that you might find helpful...

I do have that but I tend to use the marker method for a one off. I have a set of chisels to do then I'll use the marker method for the first one, set the projection with a small double square then use that for the projection on the rest.

v6turbo

dang its sold out and no stock until July and no option to get reminder when in stock :(

darita

Quote from: v6turbo on May 26, 2024, 03:31:18 AMdang its sold out and no stock until July and no option to get reminder when in stock :(

I ordered a second one from Sharpening Supplies yesterday and it noted restocking in two weeks.

John_B

Quote from: tcsharpen on May 24, 2024, 03:29:56 AMMy KS-123 arrived today. I first set up to sharpen a kitchen knife using the KJ-45 jig with the KS-123. After getting it all adjusted, I then measured the projection and entered the values into Calcapp which said the USB height should be 88.6mm. Measuring this after the angle setter was used yielded 88.7mm.  I'd say this is well within specs of my inexpensive digital caliper used to take the measurement.

Even the first setup was quick after having watched the Tormek video.

Great to hear. I have 2 support bars so for knives I will be setting one for honing and one for sharpening. I will use my jig for setting the projection distance on each knife. Going this the new KS-123 won't be used too much unless someone wants a different angle.

I then used the angle setter to set the honing angle to 1 degree greater. Simple, with great results.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease