News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

best time to apply honing compound to the leather honing wheel

Started by Ken S, May 06, 2024, 08:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

All of the demonstrations in the online classes show the honing compound being applied directly before honing. I can see the teaching value of doing this in sequence; however, it is not the most effective time to apply the compound.

The online classes mention that the honing compound works best when it is almost dry. I would suggest that it should be applied the first thing after the cover is removed to give it as much time as practical to dry.

Ken

Dutchman

But then it will have to be spread out over the surface before it dries imho. ;)

cbwx34

For quite some time now, I just occasionally  "charge" my honing wheel with paste, rubbing it in with a toothbrush.  Works for several sessions (depending on volume of course.)

My teeth look great too....  ;D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

Quote from: Dutchman on May 07, 2024, 10:13:02 AM:) I just use my finger to smear it.

The difference is I try to embed it into the leather a bit.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John_B

I will give the toothbrush a try. I do not use the paste very often and it seems to work fine.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: John_B on May 12, 2024, 07:13:31 PMI do not use the paste very often and it seems to work fine

Remember that the grit in the paste will wear down quit rapidly so the best technique is little and often rather than a lot and seldom.

Ken S

One of the first things I did with my T4 was to upgrade the plain nut securing the leatherhoning wheel with a "quick connect" as supplied with the T7/8. I did this to be able to clean off the excess honing compound which had spun off the leather honing wheel. (To be perfectly honest the problem was operator technique rather than a machine defect.) For those on a quest to find a cheaper honing compound, an easy answer might be not to waste PA-70 by using too much.

I think he granular size breakdown of PA-70 can be advantageous. The granules start larger during the initial rougher stages and become smaller, finer as the honing becomes smoother.

I find it encouraging that the same fingers (Dutchman's) which when used first with a calculator and later a computer to give us his grinding tables, the ancestor of all of our sharpening apps, also smooth out honing compound. Dutchman, you truly are a man for all seasons.

I am pleased that as a forum we can both think independently and benefit from sharing our ideas.

Ken