News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Which Tormek Sharpening Machine Should I Get?

Started by cbwx34, December 04, 2023, 07:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

(December 5th, click on the link for your local time)
Just wanted to beat Ken :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

John Hancock Sr

Let me guess their answer ... "How long is a piece of string"  ;)

Ken S

I am surprised by the reluctance to have a second Tormek, especially when the second machine could be a more specialized model. I believe two factors influence this heavily.

1) the perceived cost

2) the belief (often encouraged by Tormek) that a Tormek can sharpen every edge in the house

Granted, the investment in a Tormek can be considerable. However, let's look at this in context. The cost of cutlery in a well equipped kitchen can easily exceed the cost of a Tormek. In the workshop, consider the cost of Starrett tools, Lie-Nielsen or Veritas planes or chisels, and power tools. Top quality bench stones can be quite expensive, as can a set of several diamond or CBN wheels.

A T8 and a T2 combine the top of the Tormek line with a very efficient knife sharpening machine. Not every Tormek owner could justify the expense of a second Tormek. Some could, especially those who are heavily into sharpening knives.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Ken S on December 05, 2023, 01:46:55 PMI am surprised by the reluctance to have a second Tormek

By the number of professional setups that do have multiple Tormek machines it seems to me quite common. If you are gaining income by your sharpening, directly or indirectly then multiple machines may very well be a worthwhile investment.

For an armature like me there is not a lot of point.

Having said that I would love a T1 for the kitchen. The little woman her disability support loves cooking and spends a lot of her spare time in the kitchen and we have discussed the T1. It would keep her knives really sharp. Of course we have to wait until it is released in Australia.

Ken S

John,

Why don't you email info@tormek.se (attn: Sebastien). He is now Tormek's worldwide Director of Sales. Previously he was a country Sales Manager. As I recall, his area included Australia. Ask him which dealers can ship to Australia. The T1 is part of Tormek Culinary, so this may prove a dead end; however, it would be worth an email.

Ken

Ken S

I feel this Class is a major and long overdue breakthrough in Tormek's acceptance of its smaller diameter machines.

Ken

tgbto

Quote from: Ken S on December 05, 2023, 01:46:55 PMA T8 and a T2 combine the top of the Tormek line with a very efficient knife sharpening machine. Not every Tormek owner could justify the expense of a second Tormek. Some could, especially those who are heavily into sharpening knives.

I don't really agree here. I don't see the point in adding a T-2 to a T-8 : they won't grind the blade the same way, which will have a substantial impact in the tip area. The intended audience is quite different : sharpeners on one side, cooks who don't care much for looks on the other. I'm not sure I can see the added value of having the T-2 over, say, a T-8 custom if you're "heavily into knives". If real estate is an issue, then no T-2 at all.

Carly

I watched the broadcast live. I loved the personas they walked through in the beginning and the simple, decisive answers for each. Especially in this holiday season, it was perfect a perfect summary for people looking for an excellent gift for a loved one.

According to my notes:
T-4: gardener, camping/hunting/fishing, knife collector, spoon carver, DIY/new homeowner
T-8: professionals, and those who can't make up their mind between the T-8 and the T-4 ;D
T-8 Custom: woodturners, or people buying a second machine
T-2: pro kitchen folks
T-1: to make the other dads jealous (easily my favorite persona!)

My father is a retired chef but he still does private parties from time to time. I'm considering buying him a T-1 for Christmas. Last time he visited he asked where I got my leather strop, so he must be keeping his knives sharp still. And like most dads he loves gadgets!

I really appreciated the second half as well. I was able to ask my specific question about carving tools vs turning tools. I think my question was answered, though I might have asked another follow up. Overall this video did help me make my final decision.

Ken S

Carly,

Your dad seems the ideal match for a T1. Tormek is finally realizing that not everyone fits the mold of needing/wanting the heavy duty, do everything, flagshop T8. Freed from that design constraint, Tormek has designed more specialized model to more closely fit individual needs.

If, by chance, you have not seen the online classes with Stig and Samuel presenting the T1, I highly recommend them to you. Both Stig and Samual primarily use the composite wheel of the T1. Unlike sharpening services which routinely have to deal with abused and neglected knives, the knives they maintain are almost always just off sharp. An experienced chef like your dad would appreciate having his knives in tip top condition. This cook/chef with high expectations is the T1 persona.

I think a T1 would make an outstanding Christmas gift for him.

Ken

Carly

Quote from: Ken S on December 05, 2023, 01:46:55 PMA T8 and a T2 combine the top of the Tormek line with a very efficient knife sharpening machine. Not every Tormek owner could justify the expense of a second Tormek. Some could, especially those who are heavily into sharpening knives.

Ken

I could totally see this. I would buy a T-2 plus the coarse wheel for a mobile knife sharpening business. No water, no honing paste, no extra jigs, and it's a lot lighter. I'd keep it packed in my car ready to sharpen someone's knives at a moment's notice.  Honestly, it would be more convenient than packing my traditional stones to my sister's house to sharpen her knives.

Carly

Quote from: Ken S on December 08, 2023, 10:34:19 AMCarly,

Your dad seems the ideal match for a T1. Tormek is finally realizing that not everyone fits the mold of needing/wanting the heavy duty, do everything, flagshop T8. Freed from that design constraint, Tormek has designed more specialized model to more closely fit individual needs.

If, by chance, you have not seen the online classes with Stig and Samuel presenting the T1, I highly recommend them to you. Both Stig and Samual primarily use the composite wheel of the T1. Unlike sharpening services which routinely have to deal with abused and neglected knives, the knives they maintain are almost always just off sharp. An experienced chef like your dad would appreciate having his knives in tip top condition. This cook/chef with high expectations is the T1 persona.

I think a T1 would make an outstanding Christmas gift for him.

Ken

I think I did see that one. I imagine that if you have a T-1 your knives would never get really dull. I recommended it to a friend of mine as a Christmas gift for her husband as well.

tgbto

Quote from: Carly on December 08, 2023, 08:20:03 PMI could totally see this. I would buy a T-2 plus the coarse wheel for a mobile knife sharpening business. No water, no honing paste, no extra jigs, and it's a lot lighter. I'd keep it packed in my car ready to sharpen someone's knives at a moment's notice.  Honestly, it would be more convenient than packing my traditional stones to my sister's house to sharpen her knives.

That's not what Tormek recommends, plus you'll have to turn down any request for anything other than a standard knife. Probably with a notice that the result will be sharp but might not be that good looking... The ability to mix pivoting with lifting is what allows to choose the width of the bevel along the length of the edge. A busy cook won't care, but people who care to take their knives to a sharpener rather than give them a quick trizor XV treatment will most likely care.

Carly

Quote from: tgbto on December 11, 2023, 08:51:35 AM
Quote from: Carly on December 08, 2023, 08:20:03 PMI could totally see this. I would buy a T-2 plus the coarse wheel for a mobile knife sharpening business. No water, no honing paste, no extra jigs, and it's a lot lighter. I'd keep it packed in my car ready to sharpen someone's knives at a moment's notice.  Honestly, it would be more convenient than packing my traditional stones to my sister's house to sharpen her knives.

That's not what Tormek recommends, plus you'll have to turn down any request for anything other than a standard knife. Probably with a notice that the result will be sharp but might not be that good looking... The ability to mix pivoting with lifting is what allows to choose the width of the bevel along the length of the edge. A busy cook won't care, but people who care to take their knives to a sharpener rather than give them a quick trizor XV treatment will most likely care.

Sure. But most people just want their kitchen knife to no longer be dull. No need to make it more complicated than that.

Ken S

"That's not what Tormek recommends, plus you'll have to turn down any request for anything other than a standard knife. Probably with a notice that the result will be sharp but might not be that good looking... The ability to mix pivoting with lifting is what allows to choose the width of the bevel along the length of the edge. A busy cook won't care, but people who care to take their knives to a sharpener rather than give them a quick trizor XV treatment will most likely care."

I must disagree. Although I see where you are coming from, I feel some of your information is outdated or not really applicable. Both the T2and T1 are designed to sharpen the standard kitchen knives. These are the knives that most home cooks and restaurants use. All of my home kitchen knives, which I believe are typical, fall into this category. The T2 can also sharpen several kitchen accessories, as shown in the linked video. The T8 can not sharpen these.

By "the result will not be that good looking" do you mean an uneven bevel or will have scratches? Starting at 9:00 on the video, Johan demonstrates the knife he sharpened has an even bevel.Yes, it is a different technique, notusing tilt; however, it achieves the same even bevels.

Tormek solved the scratching issue in two ways. With the original angle guide, using the provided post it notes would eliminate scratches. The angle setter was later redesigned to eliminate scratching without having to use the post it notes.
The redesigned angle setter is also what is used with the T1.

Here is the link to the T2 online class:

https://www.youtube.com/live/dCe3bKc5Ym8?si=meyDYKfB14Lv9OWG

I believe the last online class shows a change in Tormek marketing away from almost exclusively T8 to the entire product line. I do not believe that, especially after extensive testing, Tormek would sell a product which would not meet its high quality standards.

Ken