News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Toolbar crash

Started by Johnny65, December 03, 2023, 05:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny65

Hello everyone,
I'm new here and have only had a T8 for a few days.
I watched a lot of videos and information before buying the machine, everything looked so easy. I must be doing something wrong.
I have the problem that when honing (horizontally because of the direction of rotation) with the KJ-45 I hit the threaded rod of the universal support so that I can't honing the whole length of the blade. The honing angle is about 20 degrees, which is quite a lot.
I also have difficulties transferring the required distance of the universal support with the depth gauge because the setting wheel is in the way. How do you do that, please?
Please take a look at my pictures for a better understanding.
Many thanks for any tips.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

cbwx34

Quote from: Johnny65 on December 03, 2023, 05:09:31 PMHello everyone,
I'm new here and have only had a T8 for a few days.
I watched a lot of videos and information before buying the machine, everything looked so easy. I must be doing something wrong.
I have the problem that when honing (horizontally because of the direction of rotation) with the KJ-45 I hit the threaded rod of the universal support so that I can't honing the whole length of the blade. The honing angle is about 20 degrees, which is quite a lot.
I also have difficulties transferring the required distance of the universal support with the depth gauge because the setting wheel is in the way. How do you do that, please?
Please take a look at my pictures for a better understanding.
Many thanks for any tips.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

The answer to this problem for most is a Front Vertical Base.  HERE is an example (There are others sold depending on where you live.)  Tormek has recently modified a jig that does the same thing... the MB-102.

Not only does it eliminate this problem, but it puts the user in a better position for honing (similar to the position for sharpening.)

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Johnny65

Hi CB,
QuoteThe answer to this problem for most is a Front Vertical Base.  HERE is an example (There are others sold depending on where you live.)  Tormek has recently modified a jig that does the same thing... the MB-102.

Not only does it eliminate this problem, but it puts the user in a better position for honing (similar to the position for sharpening.)

Thank you very much for your answer.
You hit my second problem exactly, namely the MB-102 Multi Base from Tormek.
I also wanted to use this and calculated the required horizontal and vertical dimensions for my software in order to calculate the settings for the grinding angle. But the result was not correct. That's why I ended up sharpening the knife against my intention, against the direction of travel, i.e. top mode. But when honing, I had to switch back to the direction of rotation, i.e. front mode.
With the MB-102 Multi Base from Tormek that you mentioned, I can't use the software that is so helpful for beginners.

cbwx34

Quote from: Johnny65 on December 03, 2023, 07:40:10 PMThank you very much for your answer.
You hit my second problem exactly, namely the MB-102 Multi Base from Tormek.
I also wanted to use this and calculated the required horizontal and vertical dimensions for my software in order to calculate the settings for the grinding angle. But the result was not correct. That's why I ended up sharpening the knife against my intention, against the direction of travel, i.e. top mode. But when honing, I had to switch back to the direction of rotation, i.e. front mode.
With the MB-102 Multi Base from Tormek that you mentioned, I can't use the software that is so helpful for beginners.

Try this calculator:  https://connect.calcapp.net/?app=avoit9

Also take a look at this thread:  https://forum.tormek.com/index.php/topic,5402.0.html  It's how I set up the MB-102 and the measurements I used.  It might help you figure out the software you're using. 

You can also measure directly to the wheel to set the USB height. With that method the machine measurements don't matter.

Johnny65

Wow! That's great! Thanks for your precious help, I'll try to work my way through this thread.

Johnny65

Quote from: cbwx34 on December 03, 2023, 08:29:35 PMTry this calculator:  https://connect.calcapp.net/?app=avoit9
Hicbwx34,
Do I understand correctly that i need a patreon subscription to be able to use the calculator properly to enter my own projection distance?

cbwx34

Quote from: Johnny65 on December 04, 2023, 10:03:06 PM
Quote from: cbwx34 on December 03, 2023, 08:29:35 PMTry this calculator:  https://connect.calcapp.net/?app=avoit9
Hicbwx34,
Do I understand correctly that i need a patreon subscription to be able to use the calculator properly to enter my own projection distance?

No, Patreon is voluntary, but there are instructions there.  If you're using the total Projection Disatnce, under "Stop Used" select "Total Value", you can then either type it in or use the Slider.

Johnny65

Thank you, I completely misunderstood about the front and rear stop, sorry.
Now I understand that the front and rear stops are the two given distances from the two leading positions of the KJ-45 until the end of the clamp.
But what if the overall length is greater than 160 mm, e.g. a machete with a blade of more than 70 mm?
Thank you again.

cbwx34

Quote from: Johnny65 on December 05, 2023, 04:17:06 PMThank you, I completely misunderstood about the front and rear stop, sorry.
Now I understand that the front and rear stops are the two given distances from the two leading positions of the KJ-45 until the end of the clamp.
But what if the overall length is greater than 160 mm, e.g. a machete with a blade of more than 70 mm?
Thank you again.

You can click on the number and type in the desired Projection Distance

You cannot view this attachment.

(The slider is for convenience setting most PDs.)

Johnny65

So easy when you know how.
thanks again.
I have built a device to measure radially directly on the wheel. The first result is very close to what I wanted to achieve. It seems to me to be slightly more acute in angle than the previous cutting edge which I had measured in top mode on the housing. It is probably due to the measurement tolerances. With your valuable help I am on the right track.