News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Are there any grinding stone guards for the Torkmek?

Started by isgoodwoodworks, October 28, 2023, 12:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isgoodwoodworks

I've had a safety inspection in my shop now that I have employees and the inspector noted that the Tormek didn't have the usual safety covers that regular grinders have. I explained and demonstrated that its a low speed device with little chance of a wheel disassembling itself at high speed but I'm concerned that he might come back with a requirement as is if was a regular grinder.

Does such a thing exist?

Ken S

Excellent post, Andy.

Your best solution is to contact Tormek (info@tormek.se). Explain your situation just like you did here. Request the reply on Tormek "stationery".

This is yet another example of misguided high speed grinder people pretending to understand low speed, Tormek wet grinding. Tormek, without any extra guards, is often the only grinder allowed in school in Europe.

Please post your answer from Tormek.

Ken

isgoodwoodworks

Will do Ken.

To the inspectors credit - he listened, took details of the machine and is going to look it up and consult with others. I'm just trying to get ahead of the game!

Ken S

Excellent, Andy. I routinely sharpen with my fingers close to the edge of the wheel of my Tormek. I do so with no fear. I would never do this with a high speed dry grinder. Please encourage Tormek to share any safety data openly with your inspector. The truth shall set you free.

A recent development from Tormek is to use the stone grader to grind a slight radius in both edges of the non diamond wheels. This eliminates the possibility of any cuts from sharp corners. This wise precaution should be "part of our custom" for all of us.

Keep us posted.

Ken

isgoodwoodworks

Official reply from Tormek - hope this helps someone else in the future

"Hi Andy,

You are correct that we don't need a safety guards on our machine due to low speed.

When we made the UL certification we got a Engineering judgment "This machine is not equipped with any kind of guards as the rotation speed is as low as<2m/s."

Stay sharp,
Pontus

Tormek AB
Torphyttevägen 40
SE-711 34 Lindesberg
SWEDEN

Tel: +46 581 147 90
www.tormek.se "