News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My favorite knifes shapening youtube channel: Findon Knife Sharpening with Baz

Started by Merlin, September 13, 2023, 12:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Columbo

I certainly watched the first one also maybe even the second. Very informative I love his style of simplicity and more, so damn his patience.

Also, the kangaroo tail strops. Oh my God. But damn unfortunately, with all the regulations concerning those tails, they can only be shipped within Australia. Because I'd certainly buy a couple of the doctors recommended size in length which may have been 24 or 26 inches by about 6 inches wide.

Anyway, somehow, I've gotta find a way to get them to Canada.
With all those damn regulations.

Talking about this, I wonder why, even if it was locally made and sold in Australia, why haven't they ever made kangaroo tail adhered to a Tormek styled wheel?
And not necessarily a Tormek style But for any grinder type.

I get it may be more expensive I gather, but how I'm sure there's enough of us crazies that would really consider it.

Anyway, thank you Ken.

RickKrung

Curious why the videos linked above have all turned out to be "No Longer Available".  Just me/my computer?  (We'll see if that happens to the links below.) 

No matter, I have found the YT website for this fellow and have bookmarked it.  "iSharpen" is his user name here and his YT name, for "Findon Knife Sharpening".  Haven't watched any yet, but it should be interesting, given the discuss that precedes. 

Link to the "Home" web site here, but I prefer going directly to the Videos page as my starting point. 

I have one of Vadim's kangaroo tail strops, so I wonder how/why/when they became unavailable for export. 
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

I only vaguely remember the start of this topic. However, I have been watching several of Baz's videos and am impressed by them.

Years ago, I thought of an imaginery around the world study tour I wanted to make. The tour would include spending time with my friend and mentor, Steve Bottorff, and with the late Terry Beach, in the US. Heading to Europe, I would like to see Glenn Lucas in Ireland and Rob and Robin Bailey in the UK. Then across the channel to meet Dutchman, the father of precision knife setting, and the late Jan, possibly our most intelligent, educated member. Then off to Sydney, Australia to enjoy meeting the late Wootz, Dr Vadim of Knife Grinders. Sadly Wootz is now deceased. However, I would still include Australia to meet Baz of Findon near Adelaide.

One of the common threads with all of these experienced Tormek users is that while being Tormek users, they all incorporated their own ideas into their technique.

I like Baz's videos and ideas. I especially like his style, lean on slick video tricks and music and full of solid technique.

Ken

Columbo

Yes Baz's videos are amazing. I have subscribed. Love them straight to the point concise, clear and very informative. I would strongly recommend as well.

Phil.

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: RickKrung on August 11, 2024, 06:44:01 PMCurious why the videos linked above have all turned out to be "No Longer Available"

He did say on another thread that his previous channel was taken down. Not sure why, he didn't say. YT can make bonkers decisions some times and take you down if someone takes a dislike to you and complains.

Columbo

Rick Sir, receiving them can be problematic, especially with some of the laws within the different states down there. Every state differs to allowing or disallowing entry for various species. That is something one has to get their info to.

3D Anvil

Quote from: Columbo on August 11, 2024, 05:44:38 PMI certainly watched the first one also maybe even the second. Very informative I love his style of simplicity and more, so damn his patience.

Also, the kangaroo tail strops. Oh my God. But damn unfortunately, with all the regulations concerning those tails, they can only be shipped within Australia. Because I'd certainly buy a couple of the doctors recommended size in length which may have been 24 or 26 inches by about 6 inches wide.

Anyway, somehow, I've gotta find a way to get them to Canada.
With all those damn regulations.

Talking about this, I wonder why, even if it was locally made and sold in Australia, why haven't they ever made kangaroo tail adhered to a Tormek styled wheel?
And not necessarily a Tormek style But for any grinder type.

I get it may be more expensive I gather, but how I'm sure there's enough of us crazies that would really consider it.

Anyway, thank you Ken.

I managed to buy a kangaroo tail strop on Ebay.  Also got a separate loose piece from Etsy.  I'm finding to be good, if not quite the miracle that some make them out to be.  Very good for initial deburring and for touching up knives with "drawer rust."  Adds a little refinement as a last stop after a loaded strop.  I've used them to replace the Flitz-loaded denim strop that I used to use as my last process.

Brock O Lee

I agree, nice channel. I learnt a few things. Keep up the good work @iSharpen ! 👍
Hans