News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New MB-102 Multibase

Started by Ken S, September 04, 2023, 12:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

One of the exciting things I saw last week during my visit to Tormek in Sweden was the new MB-102 Multibase. The official launch date is this morning, September fourth. This new Multibase combines the full adjustability of theMB-100 with being able to work vertically using the horizontal (grinding away) sleeves. One amazing feature of this new Multibase is that it combines these two features for around the same cost as just the original Multibase.

Here is the information sheet from Tormek as well as a link to the instruction sheet:

https://tormek.com/en/products/accessories/mb-102-multi-base

https://tormek.com/download/18.462ab74e188bd9ef5f07d4f5/1692630821038/Instruction%20MB-102.pdf

Ken

tgbto

If the price point is similar to that of the MB-100, we have a very enticing Tormek FVB and MB-100 2-in-1 package... for those not yet equipped with both yet ^^

RickKrung

Very interesting.  Tormek does watch and listen.  Tormek has very cleverly incorporated the function of the FVB into the Multibase.  Curious how they have taken a non-Tormek concept and incorporated it into one of their jigs.  It would be very enticing if I didn't already have both. 

"It also converts the horizontal mounts to vertical, for easier access when sharpening knives edge trailing, and for guided honing using knife jigs"

You cannot view this attachment.
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on September 04, 2023, 12:17:35 PMOne of the exciting things I saw last week during my visit to Tormek in Sweden was the new MB-102 Multibase.

And Calcapp will work with it. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John Hancock Sr

All very fine but I just bought the old model  :'(

Ken S

John,

I understand your frustration. I would feel the same way. Last Wednesday afternoon, I sat in on the innovation team meeting at Tormek headquarters. This confirmed my belief that innovation is ongoing with Tormek. Tormek, like any other business, has hurdles to overcome with innovation. The process is ongoing and continuous.

During part of our tour, we saw the machined zinc frames for the T8. Like your new MB-100, the machined zinc frames of the T8 (and T4) make the precision of the T8 superior to my faithful T7. If I wished, I could sell my T7 for at least almost the price I paid for it. I have no intention of selling it. Both my T7 and your new MB-100 are just as capable now as ever. Capability has just moved on.

Unlike many products, we can still be using our MB-100s and T7s twenty years from now. By that time, the products which follow the T8 and MB-102 will still be making sharp edges, but will also be considered out of date.

Based on my impression of the innovation team, be prepared to see more innovations. Enjoy the progress!

Ken

tgbto

Just an afterthought : I am curious as to how the squareness of the MB-102 relative to the wheel axis will be ensured when using it as a FVB... It seems about as important when grinding edge trailing as it is edge-leading.

Today the USB is made vertical (the way I understand it) by pressing down on top of the support leg with the MicroAdjust nut. As there is no MicroAdjust nut on the MB-102, how will it be done ? The currrent FVB implementations with a solid block of metal use the casing as a reference. Maybe using the legs of the USB when mounted in the MB-102 ? Might be easier with the taller US-430 ? I see no reference to this in the manual...

Any thoughts ?

GeoBoy

I have been looking at purchasing 2 MB-100's to get FVB, but now 1 MB-102 will do it. I feel a Christmas present is in my future.

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on September 05, 2023, 04:25:42 PMJust an afterthought : I am curious as to how the squareness of the MB-102 relative to the wheel axis will be ensured when using it as a FVB... It seems about as important when grinding edge trailing as it is edge-leading.

Today the USB is made vertical (the way I understand it) by pressing down on top of the support leg with the MicroAdjust nut. As there is no MicroAdjust nut on the MB-102, how will it be done ? The currrent FVB implementations with a solid block of metal use the casing as a reference. Maybe using the legs of the USB when mounted in the MB-102 ? Might be easier with the taller US-430 ? I see no reference to this in the manual...

Any thoughts ?

I would think it would be no different than using a current FVB in the "Extended" position, and unless the MB-102 has a lot of play, (and the current one doesn't appear to) it shouldn't be an issue.  One could always come up with a method to improve accuracy if needed I suppose, (like marking the legs?)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Dan

Quote from: GeoBoy on September 05, 2023, 04:58:32 PMI have been looking at purchasing 2 MB-100's to get FVB, but now 1 MB-102 will do it. I feel a Christmas present is in my future.
I'm still waiting to see any prices for the new jig but if you only want an FVB and have no diamond wheels like me (i.e. no need to grind on side of wheel) then I imagine it will be cheaper just to get an FVB from Shleifjunkies or one of the other makers.
Of course, if one has diamond wheels this jig could be pretty useful. Let's see what the cost is...
Danny

Ken S

Samuel, the Tormek CEO, just sent me a PM with this pricing information:

"If you would like to add pricing to the discussion on the new Multi Base here they are:

US MAP: $105
EURO COUNTRIES Recommended retail price EXCL.VAT: €73,50

/Samuel"

Ken

Dan

well, if that is really the price, it is really more or less the same as the MB100 jig...

Ken S

Dan,
That really is the price.
Ken

GeoBoy

"If you would like to add pricing to the discussion on the new Multi Base here they are:

US MAP: $105
Jingle bells, jingle bells,..

Thy Will Be Done

This is perfect timing, I was just looking at buying the original and now it's perfect.  The question is when can I find one for sale?  I still don't see any at my sharpening dealers I frequent.