News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TTS-100 vs WM-200

Started by psscroller, January 31, 2008, 03:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psscroller

Actually several questions:

Does the TTS-100 replace the WM-200? I am going to purchase Turning jigs and am wondering if the WM-200 I got with my 2000 Supergrind will do what the TTS-100 does.

Another question - What is the difference between the TT-50 and my ADV-50D? Do I need to upgrade?

Last question - How can I download the latest manual? Message I get is "page could not be found".

Thank you.
Paul S

Jeff Farris

The TTS-100 does not replace the WM-200, it supplements it.  The WM-200 was developed to adjust the bevel angle on relatively flat tools, like chisels, knives and scissors. The WM-200 is not well suited to turning tools.  The TTS-100 was specifically developed to deliver the same accurate set-up on turning tools that the WM-200 delivers on woodworking and household tools. I suggest that you take a look at the section of our web site devoted to turning tools:  http://www.tormek.com/us/woodturning/  That will show you how the TTS-100 works, and what accessories you need for turning tools.  My highest recommendation goes to the TNT-300 Instruction box, which has a 42 page book with nearly 200 illustrations and a DVD with an hour of sharpening instruction and over 20 minutes of turning fundamentals.  It is included in the TNT-708, and is also available separately.

The TT-50 Diamond Truing Tool has a screw-feed mechanism that mechanically drives the diamond cutting tip across the grindstone.  With the ADV-50D, you advance the cutting tip with finger pressure.  Both will do the job, but the TT-50 represents a significant advance, making it much easier to get a consistent surface on the grindstone and more carefully control how much grindstone is cut away.  

We offer an upgrade version of the TT-50 (code = TT-50U) which is the complete mechanism less the diamond cutting tip.  The tip is identical to the one in your ADV-50D and it is easily exchanged. This will save you $19 over buying the complete TT-50.  If your local dealer does not carry the TT-50U, call the customer service line and we will point you in the right direction.

Registered owners can download the latest version of the handbook.  Some of the links on the site have not been properly updated and I apologize for that.  Go to http://www.tormek.us and register your machine's serial number (found inside the frame), then you can download all or selected sections of the handbook.
Jeff Farris

psscroller

Thanks for the rapid reply Jeff. It was also my email you responded to earlier today.

With the info you provided and research on the Tormek site I can now make an informed decision. ;D I will be purchasing the TNT-300 kit. The only duplication is the machine cover - no biggie.

As for the manual. I followed your advice but still get the message. I'll check back on that later. The manual in the 300 kit may very well answer all my questions anyway.

Thanks again.

ps-Now I recall seeing your name at the SMC site.
Paul S

Jeff Farris

Just to make sure you get the right thing, I think you mean the TNT-708 Woodturner's Kit.  The TNT-300 is just the book and DVD.

Try this link for the handbook download

http://www.tormek.com/us/handbook/download.php
Jeff Farris

psscroller

Your are right. I did mean the TNT708. I realized that after posting. I did order the TNT-708 kit.

Tried your link - same place I was before after registering. Same message came up as follows:

"The page could not be found."

"It may have been moved or renamed. If you got this message using a bookmark please go the start page and update your bookmarks."

Thanks again.
Paul S

Jeff Farris

I don't even pretend to be an internet expert, but try clearing your cache (browser option usually under "Edit") and go into your Cookies file and delete everything with either Tormek or SharpToolsUSA in the name.
Jeff Farris