News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Big Brown Bear

Started by 3D Anvil, December 14, 2022, 05:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3D Anvil

This should be interesting to watch.  Big Brown Bear--who's real name escapes me at the moment--obtained a couple Tormek machines with diamond wheels and he's planning on doing comparison testing of edge retention with Tormek'd knives versus knives sharpened freehand and possibly on fixed angle systems. 

If you're not familiar, BBB is well known in the knife community as a sharpening, heat treating, and custom knife making maven. 

Here's his Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmIFaX1rbIg/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

And his home page: https://www.triplebhandmade.com/home

Ken S

3D,

I am not familiar with Big Brown Bear, so I really can't comment either positively or negatively. That stated, I would like to mention something which comes to mind. Many years ago, A photographic magazine had an article about a prominent photo writer testing fifteen film developers. At the time, I would have preferred an article about fifteen photographers each testing the developer with which he has long experience. Almost all serious photographers find one or two developers which work well for them and by years of use hone their skill with it.

I would prefer to have an old freehand sharpener compared with an old Tormek hand, not someone who recently acquired the Tormek. However, I will try to keep an open mind.

Ken

3D Anvil

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying, Ken.  People new to Tormek can get good -- even very good -- results, but it takes some experience and practice to get VERY good with it.  That said, I think BBB will be fair, and being a knife maker, he does have experience knife grinding, albeit using belts on primary bevels and not edge bevels.  He seems to have a scientific mindset.  Spyderco recently released a sprint run of its Manix 2 knife in 15v using BBB's proprietary heat treating protocol, for example.

I'll be interested to see what he does.  Depending, I may do some controlled tests on my own to compare edge longevity between blades sharpened on Tormek vs fixed-angle system vs freehand vs belt sharpening.  I think the only way to do it fairly would be to use copies of the same knife sharpened at the same angle and BESS tested to the same degree of starting sharpness.  Each knife would have to be sharpened 3-4 times before starting to make sure you're not starting out with a burned factory edge.

Ken S

3D,

Thinking about your post, with all the variables which can effect edge retention, pinning down a definitive edge retention time can be problematic.
With that stated, I will be curious to learn what gems will be revealed in this test. There is always room to grow. Please keep us posted.

Ken

3D Anvil

tgbto

Do you have any idea what he means by "six slice" in " doesn't refine edge enough for a push cut needed for a six slice."

3D Anvil

I believe a "six slice" is an edge test where you slice into a piece of paper and cut a hole in the middle of it -- forming a figure-six.