News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife Sharpening....Help

Started by Spad011, February 19, 2004, 04:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spad011

I'm trying to sharpen some kitchen knives.  I don't think they're that dull, but i wanted to get Sharp!

I tried it on a 12" butcher knife.  Well, I guess I took a little too much metal in some areas because the cutting area is no longer the nice parallel line; more like a smooth squiggle (yikes).

My question, with knives, do you even have to use the 200 grit or can I just start off with the 1000 grit and then go to honing.  I think I might have taken off most of the metal on the 200 grit.

I have to admit I looked like a one armed paper hanger as I tried this.  Jeff makes it look much easier.

Any suggestions?

Jeff Farris

As mentioned in the online knife demo and in the DVD, you rarely if ever need the 220 grit cutting action for knives.  They should almost always be done with just the stone graded to the 1000 grit.  The exception would be a severely damaged knife that you are trying to reshape.  As Spad011 has discovered, the TORMEK is much more aggressive in the 220 grit condition than it appears.  Don't let the lack of noise, sparks, and dust fool you.  On a thin piece of steel like a kitchen knife, you are removing a lot of metal in a hurry.  

It is also a good idea for new owners to practice with some of the older, less valuable tools in their shop and homes before tackling the wive's brand new expensive set of Henkel's or your new Lie-Nielsen plane irons.  
Jeff Farris