News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Just bought a SuperGrind 2000, have a few questions

Started by FFD95, August 14, 2022, 06:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFD95

Greetings all. 
I just picked up a Super grind 2000 at an online auction.  This unit is missing the water tank.  I went to Sharpening supplies and ordered a water trough for the T 4.  I'm guessing I screwed up?  It looks too small to fit, or am I missing something that holds the tank to the base of the unit?

I also have been searching on the Tormek site.  I saw on another post to register the unit, so I can download the users guide, which I didn't receive either. 
After searching high and low on the machine, I'm guessing the SG2000's didn't have serial numbers.  There is a block to select if there is no number, but Im doing something wrong, it won't let me register it. 

I've seen post where people are suggesting just buy a T8.  I'm not sure I'm ready to make that big of an investment, YET!!!  hahaha. I'm not really wanting to sharpen professionally, just take care of my knives and some woodworking tools. 

Thank you for all the help and advice.  Just wanting to try to see if I can get a decent edge on my knives. 

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Brad.

You have hit a few bumps in the road. Be patient, they will soon be behind you.

Here is a link to the water trough you need:

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Tormek-Advanced-Water-Trough-For-T7-P330.aspx

Tormek makes machines in two sizes. The Super Grind 2000 is an earlier model of the T8 (and T7). It has a 250mm diameter grinding wheel. The smaller machine (T4 and earlier T3) use 200 mm diameter grinding wheels.

The Super Grind 2000 model did predated Tormek's use of serial numbers. Registering your Tormek online is definitely worthwhile. The online handbook is essentially the same over the years, although the latest onlune edition also includes more recent jig and accessory instructions. I downloaded it in the books program of my ipad and refer to it often.

You should also do an online search for "tormek youtube channel". Tormek has recently made quite a number of excellent online classes, including several on knife sharpening.

The T8 is a fine machine; however, I would ignore the advice to "just buy a T8". There are many Super Grinds still giving daily trooper service and will continue to do so. Incidentally, all of the jigs work with all of the models, new and old. Tormek support (support@tormek.se) provides excellent (free) advice. They are located at the factory in Sweden or at Tormek Inc. in Illinois. The support tech may have actually built your Tormek.

Incidentally, "Super Grind" was the name given to the SG-250 aluminum oxide grinding wheels (still the standard grinding wheel) which superseded the original natural sand stone wheels.

Keep us posted and do not be shy about asking questions; that's how we all learn. The marker method will get you up and running quickly with knife sharpening.

Ken

HedgeStar

I have a super-grind 2000 and see no reason whatsoever to change it.  Good luck with it, it's a wonderful machine.