News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Long machete and water getting in switch on T-8

Started by Rimu, June 11, 2022, 09:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rimu

I had a very frustrating sharpening session today. A friend asked me to sharpen her machete and I did this using the scissor jig  mod that most of you will know. That worked great. The problem was because of the length of the machete a lot of water kept dripping on top of the machine and managed to get on the drive wheel and cause it to slip

I kept stopping the t-8 to dry it off and then the next issue occurred. The power switch would not stay on! It would only stay on if I held the button down. As you can see from the photo, there is definitely moisture behind the protective plastic, which I assume is there to prevent this.

Questions: was the switch issue due to water getting in?

How do you prevent water dripping over the top right side of the machine and keep it off the drive wheel?

RickKrung

First of all, I am very curious how you used the scissors jig for sharpening a machete.  You phrase it as "using the scissors jig mod", so I'm wondering what "mod"?  I would appreciate seeing a photo or more of your setup.  I've sharpened machetes, but it has been so long, I don't actually recall how I did it.  I think free-hand on a platform, as they do not require the same care and type of edge that the Tormek jigs provide. 

To your question, though, of keeping water off the machine, there is a 3D printed product available that may help to a point, but I think not enough to solve your issue.  When I did fuss with this for longer knives using the knife jigs, I put tin-foil over the machine that drained to the water trough - the same solution as the 3D printed thing. 

I think I'd try a couple things.  Putting a protective cover of the entire top area of the machine to keep water off the drive wheel and switch.  I'd likely try the tin-foil as it can be shaped and molded and the edges can be bent up to keep water from draining off. 

To get your switch working again, you may have to dry it out, say with a hair dryer directed at the switch/case for a while to evaporate the water. 
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: Rimu on June 11, 2022, 09:51:50 AM
I had a very frustrating sharpening session today. A friend asked me to sharpen her machete and I did this using the scissor jig  mod that most of you will know. That worked great. The problem was because of the length of the machete a lot of water kept dripping on top of the machine and managed to get on the drive wheel and cause it to slip

I kept stopping the t-8 to dry it off and then the next issue occurred. The power switch would not stay on! It would only stay on if I held the button down. As you can see from the photo, there is definitely moisture behind the protective plastic, which I assume is there to prevent this.

Questions: was the switch issue due to water getting in?

How do you prevent water dripping over the top right side of the machine and keep it off the drive wheel?

Putting something under the feet of the drive side of the machine will tilt it so that the water will run back to the wheel.  (I posted this in another thread)....

Quote from: cbwx34 on February 02, 2022, 01:12:13 PM
Put something under the feet on the leather wheel side of the Tormek... this will angle the machine slightly, and the water will stay on the grinding wheel side of the machine.  (You could actually get feet for the older Tormeks that would do this).  Also, don't move the knife too quickly... this allows the water to drip down near the grinding wheel.

Edit:  Found the description of the little "feet"...

Quote from: https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/collections/tormek-upgrade-parts-for-older-machines/products/advanced-water-trough-for-t-7-and-s2000-upgradeTilt Shoes Control the Water Flow
Two Tilt Shoes are supplied with the AWT-250. You can use them to raise the honing wheel side of the machine so the water follows the tool towards the outside of the stone and runs back into the water trough. You minimize the water dripping onto the housing. This is an advantage especially when sharpening wide tools. When not required they can be stored magnetically under the machine.

Also just saw it mentioned in the Tips and Tricks video

I'm also guessing you used the scissors jig like a "Platform Jig"?  One thing I discovered a while back is that if you sharpen edge leading at the top of the wheel, a lot of water will build up on the knife and run off the sides.  (This doesn't happen with scissors because the angle is so much higher).  If you move down the wheel a little, then most of the water will drop back down into the trough.  So you may want to make a Platform jig that is longer.

Here's an example of a tray that Rick mentioned...

https://schleifjunkies.de/en/produkt/drip-tray-for-t8-in-connection-with-vertical-front-base/

... or there are some 3D files (I think they're in the Facebook group, I'm not sure if there are any here), if you have access to a 3D printer.  (I've never used one, so don't know how well they work).

But I'd try tilting the machine a little... that has worked for me, and it's a simple thing to try first, (along with repositioning where you are on the wheel).  Tilting the machine tilts the knife so the water runs back toward the wheel.

As for the switch, I'd contact Tormek support... if the cover is supposed to keep water out, that may be a warranty or design issue they should address.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Rimu,

You should contact support (support@tormek.se). My biggest concern with this is your switch problem. In addition to informing support about your switch, ask about tilting your Tormek slightly to help any spilled water drain away from the drive wheel and switch.

I believe your water problem may have started from overfilling your water trough.

Ken

Rimu

Quote from: RickKrung on June 11, 2022, 12:23:28 PM
First of all, I am very curious how you used the scissors jig for sharpening a machete.  You phrase it as "using the scissors jig mod", so I'm wondering what "mod"?  I would appreciate seeing a

This is the mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcWAkQmoU8c

Ken S

I believe we have two issues:
1) spillage of excess water
2) safely rerouting the spillage

I agree that a redesigned water trough for the T4 would be desirable. The present T4 trough is a scaled down version of the standard (pre Advanced Water Trough) trough for the T7 and earlier models. Until such a redesigned trough is made available, what can we do? I believe the primary cause of water spillage is overfilling. I slowly fill my water trough (with the motor running) just until the water starts to run over the top of the grinding wheel. As the grinding wheel absorbs water, the water will stop flowing over the top. I add only enough water to restart the flow. (I leave the motor running.) Soon, the grinding wheel will stop absorbing. At that point, I stop adding water. I do not go by "fill lines". I have very little spillage with this fill method.

The T7 had magnetic rubber feet, including two extra to tilt the Tormek just enough to make any spillage flow toward the water trough and away from the drive wheel (and switch). These feet were somewhat a nuisance. I was pleased that they were not part of the T4 and T8. However, for sharpening things like long knives, machetes, of thickness planer blades, the slight tilt is desirable. Making simple spacers seems like a good idea.

The RB180 rotating base is a good investment to prevent spillage. So is an inexpensive turkey baster. ( The turkey baster idea originated with another forum member; I just recognized a good idea.) I use the baster to remove almost of the water. A paper towel removes the debris and keeps it out of my drains.

You still have the switch issue. (Your T4 may still be  under warranty. Please contact support.) I suspect these four steps will solve your spillage problem.

Keep us posted.

Ken