News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Repainting my new-to-me 2000

Started by Inspector212, May 24, 2022, 09:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector212

I picked up a Supergrind 2000 at an online auction for a good price. I got it home to discover the stone was cracked and the shaft was seized and the frame was covered in rust. I decided to rebuild it. I bought the SS shaft. I have yet to decide on what wheel to buy. I'm thinking CBN. I am going clean up and repaint the chassis. My question to the group is, what color? I could go with something close to the original green but was thinking why not change it up. I like the Rustoleum Hammered line of colors. I was thinking bronze. What do you think?

Inspector

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/hammered-spray

Ken S

As a first wheel, I would follow the traditional Tormek advice and start with the SG-250. With CBN or diamond, each wheel is limited to one grit and the grit is only one layer deep.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on May 24, 2022, 10:11:25 PM
As a first wheel, I would follow the traditional Tormek advice and start with the SG-250. With CBN or diamond, each wheel is limited to one grit and the grit is only one layer deep.

Ken

I have to agree.  If I had to have just one wheel, it would be the SG.  There is a lot of learning to be had there, very important before you can really make use of the specialty wheels like diamond or CBN.  To use the diamond and/or CBN wheels, you have to have a couple or several.  That makes an SG as a starter a heck of a lot cheaper if you find this system not to your liking. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: Inspector212 on May 24, 2022, 09:17:28 PM
I picked up a Supergrind 2000 at an online auction for a good price. I got it home to discover the stone was cracked and the shaft was seized and the frame was covered in rust. I decided to rebuild it. I bought the SS shaft. I have yet to decide on what wheel to buy. I'm thinking CBN. I am going clean up and repaint the chassis. My question to the group is, what color? I could go with something close to the original green but was thinking why not change it up. I like the Rustoleum Hammered line of colors. I was thinking bronze. What do you think?

Inspector

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/hammered-spray

You should paint it gold.   :D   Bronze looks good though.

Add me to the "get the stock wheel" camp... if you go CBN, you'll probably need more than one.

Post pics when you're done!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Inspector212

As a first wheel, I would follow the traditional Tormek advice and start with the SG-250.
Ken

Do I need the truing tool if I buy the stone wheel?

cbwx34

Quote from: Inspector212 on May 25, 2022, 04:25:21 PM
As a first wheel, I would follow the traditional Tormek advice and start with the SG-250.
Ken

Yes  :)

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 25, 2022, 04:57:14 PM
Quote from: Inspector212 on May 25, 2022, 04:25:21 PM
Ken

Yes  :)

And a stone grader.  But...  Please do not be daunted by what will seem high initial costs.  There truly is a lot of learning to be had using these before you can really make good use of the others. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

3D Anvil

I was recently in your position as a newbie seeking advice on a first wheel ... and got the same advice, which I took.  I've since added a CBN 160 stone which I'm using on the drive wheel side.

The advice to start with the SG stone was solid, and here's (one reason) why: if you're sharpening knives, it takes some practice to keep the bevel flat on the stone ... particularly when setting the blade to the stone initially.  If you come down at an angle, or tilt the blade once it's on the stone, you will hit the edge of the stone and create, at minimum, a mark on the bevel.  At maximum, you'll take a divot out of the bevel which takes some time to repair. 

Because CBN and diamond stones cut much faster than the SG, any mistakes you make will be compounded.

Good luck, whichever way you go.  It's a great system.

Inspector212

I looked in the pile of fixtures I got with the Tormek. I got the SP650 stone grader, SVS-50 Multi-jig, SVH-320 planer blade jig, a couple of knife jigs, wood turner's kit, hand tool kit, and an older style truing jig, cannot find the number. So, I already have the truing jig. I will buy the original wheel and get learning. Thank you for the help.

cbwx34

A forum thread (with links to other threads) you might find of interest...

Refurbishing Thread

Rimu

Cool... I vote for the color: chrome