News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Colvin Tools Front Vertical Base (FVB)

Started by cbwx34, May 06, 2022, 10:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

I (of course) ordered one of Rich's FVBs.  As expected, high quality, and I especially like "no threads" on the insert rods.  Makes everything slide smoothly, and fits like a glove.  (Helluva lot better than the one I made a few years ago...  ::)  ).

The only thing I'd point out is insert it with the "Colvin Tools" engraving on the bottom, otherwise it slides in too far.  See the pics  (Seems upside down to me, cause I put it in the other way first,  :o  but no biggie).  I'm assuming this is correct.

A nice bonus is that Rich includes the settings needed for TormekCalc.

Goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway)... nice job!   :)

Edit:  Forgot to add the link:  https://colvintools.com/Tormek-FVB.html
:)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Scotty

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

RichColvin

Thanks CB.  I saw that, & figured it didn't detract from use.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

GeoBoy

Rich, any chance of offering it with stainless steel legs?

cbwx34

Quote from: RichColvin on May 07, 2022, 01:49:55 AM
Thanks CB.  I saw that, & figured it didn't detract from use.

In use probably not, but if you use TormekCalc, make sure you put it in with the marking on the bottom, or the measurements will be off.

RickKrung

Quote from: GeoBoy on May 07, 2022, 02:25:30 AM
Rich, any chance of offering it with stainless steel legs?

I'd prefer stainless legs as well.  But, that would not be difficult at all to do yourself.  Find a source of 12mm stainless steel rod and if you don't have a hack saw, get that too.  Cut the rod to the lengths that you want (same as Rich's), remove the burrs using your Tormek and secure them in the block using the set screws. 

McMaster-Carr is my go-to source for many things, including online ordering of stainless steel.  A 1-1/2 ft piece is $36.26, plus shipping, so it isn't cheap, but if that is what you really want...  If Rich supplied it with as part of the unit, it would raise the cost similarly, so it is close to a wash. 

Rick

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

OK, (I'll bite)... why the interest in the legs being stainless steel?   ???

Ken S

My first T7 predated the EZYlock shaft. I purchased the kit to adapt my T7. At first I was surprised that the spacer was stainless, but not the "dry side" hardware. This seems a logical way to contain costs. I have never read a post about the dry side hardware rusting. I suspect the FVB won't need to be stainless, either.

Ken

Scotty

Do you know if this has the same specs as the FVB from Knife Grinders ( compatible with his calculating programs)?
Thanks
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

cbwx34

Quote from: Scotty on May 07, 2022, 04:16:12 PM
Do you know if this has the same specs as the FVB from Knife Grinders ( compatible with his calculating programs)?
Thanks

They're not the same, so no, it won't be compatible.

Scotty

President Ronald Regan