News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wobble

Started by 3D Anvil, May 05, 2022, 12:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3D Anvil

My new T-8 has a fair amount of wobble in the drive wheel and I'm wondering if that's normal, or if perhaps my shaft isn't quite straight?  I'm pretty sure it's not the grinding wheel, as it was this way when brand new, and after truing the grinding wheel.

Can y'all take a quick look and let me know?  Tx!

https://youtube.com/shorts/ckxcgAoBLxQ

tgbto

From what I can see on the video, it seems that only the rubber has some wobble. The metal wheel seems to be turning straight and true. So it shouldn't cause much trouble with your sharpening.

Have you tried sanding the rubber wheel with some 80/120 grit sandpaper as mentioned in the manual ? It is known to lessen this "problem".

Cheers,

Nick.

Ken S

Looking at your video, I had the same impression as Nick. You should email Tormek support (support@tormek.se). Include your video with your email to support.
Unlike many companies, Tormek has excellent support, both in and out of warranty.
Keep us posted.
Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: 3D Anvil on May 05, 2022, 12:46:20 AM
My new T-8 has a fair amount of wobble in the drive wheel and I'm wondering if that's normal, or if perhaps my shaft isn't quite straight?  I'm pretty sure it's not the grinding wheel, as it was this way when brand new, and after truing the grinding wheel.

Can y'all take a quick look and let me know?  Tx!

https://youtube.com/shorts/ckxcgAoBLxQ

Quote from: tgbto on May 05, 2022, 10:37:16 AM
From what I can see on the video, it seems that only the rubber has some wobble. The metal wheel seems to be turning straight and true. So it shouldn't cause much trouble with your sharpening.

Have you tried sanding the rubber wheel with some 80/120 grit sandpaper as mentioned in the manual ? It is known to lessen this "problem".

Cheers,

Nick.

I agree with the first part... to me it just looks like the rubber wasn't attached properly and doesn't line up with the edge of the metal as it spins around.  But I'm not sure sanding will fix this?

I don't think it's an issue, but I'd contact support, if for no other reason you have documentation should it become one.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

3D Anvil

Thanks for the replies.  I think you're right about it being an issue with the rubber.  I feel the wobble with the leather wheel, but not on the grinding stone.  I'll contact support.

tgbto

The leather wheel is attached to the metal rim of the wheel, not the rubber itself, so it should not wobble.

Are you not referring to the "bump" feeling you get when honing at the place where the ends of the leather strip meet ? If so, this is something that gets less noticeable - but still remains - overtime. It has no impact on the quality of the honing that I can perceive...

Cheers!

3D Anvil

Quote from: tgbto on May 05, 2022, 04:01:34 PM
The leather wheel is attached to the metal rim of the wheel, not the rubber itself, so it should not wobble.

Are you not referring to the "bump" feeling you get when honing at the place where the ends of the leather strip meet ? If so, this is something that gets less noticeable - but still remains - overtime. It has no impact on the quality of the honing that I can perceive...

Cheers!
Yes, I think you're right.  I set the USB close to the wheel and there's very little wobble at the leather surface.