News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Often Ignored Jig

Started by RichColvin, May 04, 2022, 01:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

I was sharpening my wife's paring knives today and found that the SVM-00 jig (held in an SVM-45 jig) is a great way to hold the knives.  As the knives are symmetrical side-to-side, this really made sharpening them easier!  This little jig is one that I think is often ignored.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

Quote from: RichColvin on May 04, 2022, 01:07:27 AM
I was sharpening my wife's paring knives today and found that the SVM-00 jig (held in an SVM-45 jig) is a great way to hold the knives.  As the knives are symmetrical side-to-side, this really made sharpening them easier!  This little jig is one that I think is often ignored.

Very true.

It can also be used to hit lower angles (if desired) on some knives, where the regular jig might get in the way.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

3D Anvil

I used it to sharpen a couple of paring knives yesterday.  Worked fine, but it's a bit fiddly getting the knives mounted straight.  The method Tormek recommends--laying the blade and jig bar flat on a table--doesn't account for the angle of the primary grind (usually around 2°), so that's guaranteed to be off.  I did it by eye, but when you tighten the handle screw the jig may have other ideas.

Ken S

I agree that the SVM-00 is a useful jig. I included it with my original instructions for using the kenjig. Combined with the SVM-45, it brings small paring knives to 139mm Projection. It is really designed for small blades with substantial wooden handles. It works very well with carving knives. I have found that clamping pocket knives can be somewhat problematic.

Ken

RichColvin

Quote from: Ken S on May 04, 2022, 06:25:58 AM
... I have found that clamping pocket knives can be somewhat problematic.

Ken

Agree with that.
Rich Colvin

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Scotty

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

cbwx34

Quote from: Scotty on May 04, 2022, 02:23:50 PM
Ken jig?

Or... Adjustable Kenjig...

;D

Might be needed with the new KJ-45...

Ken S

Good thought, CB. However, it is overkill. All I need is a few more kenjigs, with grooves cut every five millimeters from around 80 to 100mm. Add a metric rule (or the back of a kenjig with calibrated pencil marks) and a copy of Dutchman's table for the diameter of the grinding wheel. I'm good to go.

Ken

Scotty

Thanks.
I am interested in your system.
I am currently a KG disciple but am always interested in different methods.
Can you aim me at a tutorial of more info? Thanks
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

Ken S

Scotty,
Do a google search for "kenjig instructions". You will find the illustrated PDF I did several years ago. I will eventually update it to incorporate the new KJ-45 jig; however, the PDF will give you a flavor of the kenjig.
Ken

RichColvin

Rich Colvin

Scotty

President Ronald Regan

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on May 04, 2022, 08:41:35 PM
Good thought, CB. However, it is overkill. All I need is a few more kenjigs, with grooves cut every five millimeters from around 80 to 100mm. Add a metric rule (or the back of a kenjig with calibrated pencil marks) and a copy of Dutchman's table for the diameter of the grinding wheel. I'm good to go.

Ken

Maybe true, but that's why I added "Might be needed with the new KJ-45...".  Unlike wheel size, angle change is affected greater by Projection Distance, so 5mm grooves might not be sufficient.  (It only takes a couple mm difference in the PD vs. the 10mm of wheel size to change the angle).

In my mind I see no difference in just setting the USB height vs. trying to clamp the knife to a particular measurement... might have been easier when you could just adjust the stop collar, but now I agree with the statement Tormek made in their video that the adjustment is now made at the USB.

I still agree with the "Kenjig" concept, just think you might need something more adaptable.  And you can get calipers fairly cheap, especially non-digital ones, that are accurate enough for this purpose.  Just lock it in place and you have an "instant Kenjig", but one you can adjust a bit more if needed.

Ken S

Well stated, CB. I have always viewed the kenjig concept as continually evolving.
Ken