News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Leather honing wheel

Started by JustADudeInSweden, January 27, 2022, 03:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustADudeInSweden

Hey!

I was looking at the Tormek video:

and comparing it to mine, the honing wheel there looks much darker than mine (see below), do I need to put more oil in or does it get darker with use?

Thanks!
Getting Jiggy With It

cbwx34

It gets darker in use.  As Ken (or someone) once pointed out, it's a good way to tell if someone is really using their Tormek.  ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John_B

I think as the PA-70 paste breaks down on the honing wheel and the wheel turns black the honing improves. I have no evidence to back this up just feel.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

JustADudeInSweden

Quote from: john.jcb on January 27, 2022, 07:15:43 PM
I think as the PA-70 paste breaks down on the honing wheel and the wheel turns black the honing improves. I have no evidence to back this up just feel.

I'm just fearful I didn't put enough oil/paste or it needs more oil/paste...

For example,
my wheel:
https://youtu.be/bI6Erij5Lk8?t=1441

it looks much more rougher and "sand paper-ish" compared to the one in the tormek video, that looks smooth and oiled...
Getting Jiggy With It

BeSharp

The black colour is from the steel particles removed by the honing paste.

cbwx34

Quote from: JustADudeInSweden on January 27, 2022, 07:23:28 PM
Quote from: john.jcb on January 27, 2022, 07:15:43 PM

I'm just fearful I didn't put enough oil/paste or it needs more oil/paste...

For example,
my wheel:
https://youtu.be/bI6Erij5Lk8?t=1441

it looks much more rougher and "sand paper-ish" compared to the one in the tormek video, that looks smooth and oiled...

It is not oil... it's use.  My older Tormek looked just like the Tormek video... and it was never oiled.... just use and occasional Tormek compound.

You can over oil the wheel, so don't go that route.

(john.jcb and BeSharp are correct).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 27, 2022, 03:51:18 PM
It gets darker in use.  As Ken (or someone) once pointed out, it's a good way to tell if someone is really using their Tormek.  ;)

Whenever I watch a video by a Tormek "expert" with a pristine looking leather honing wheel, I suspect that the expert may have a full ten minutes experience with his Tormek.  ::)

Ken

John_B

I oiled each of my leather wheels before first use. I have not seen a need to oil again.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

JustADudeInSweden

Thanks!

The problem with being a noob is I know not to put too much oil but lack the experience to know what "too much oil" actually is  :P ::) :)
Getting Jiggy With It

Ken S

Watch the online classes. Wolfgang demonstrates the correct way (and amount) to oil a leTher wheel.
Ken

JustADudeInSweden

Related Q: How often does the white paste get added?
Getting Jiggy With It

John_B

Quote from: JustADudeInSweden on January 29, 2022, 03:14:25 AM

I squirt a thin bead on the wheel and then spread it out with my finger. If paste is thinly spread and there is not enough to cover the wheel I squirt a little more. Individuals use more or less paste as a personal preference. I personally think excessive paste just gets removed by the first knife you hone.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

JustADudeInSweden

Quote from: john.jcb on January 30, 2022, 07:25:07 PM
Quote from: JustADudeInSweden on January 29, 2022, 03:14:25 AM

I squirt a thin bead on the wheel and then spread it out with my finger. If paste is thinly spread and there is not enough to cover the wheel I squirt a little more. Individuals use more or less paste as a personal preference. I personally think excessive paste just gets removed by the first knife you hone.

Is this before every knive sharpening "session" or after x number of knives or...?
Getting Jiggy With It

John_B

I do not add it at any set interval. My wheel is black from honing and does a great job. Opinions vary on how much paste you need. I tend to use less than I see in the Tormek videos.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

Nico

I also read in the handbook (p.44) that occasionally, it is recommended to re-oil the honing wheel, in addition to recharging the honing compound. The handbook said one application of compound lasts for honing 5-10 tools. After that, it recommends you re-impregnate the honing wheel with a few drops of oil and apply fresh compound.