News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Leather Wheel Drying Out

Started by MartinC, November 15, 2021, 04:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinC

I am having issues with the Tormek Leather Wheel drying out, at least I think that is the issue. I live in a very dry environment, with little humidity and I suspect the wheel is drying quickly. The SG takes a lot of water each time I used it (2-3 times a week) and the leather wheel is always black and doesn't feel right.

I was thinking of switching to the composite wheel or possibly a felt wheel, I not sure which would be best.

I purchased the system to make sharpening chisels and hand planes quicker, however I found great pleasure in sharpening knifes. So much that the wife signed me up for a "Friends & Family" kitchen knife event. 80+ knifes later and I have learned a lot. No complaints so far, but I think a course diamond wheel would be helpful.

So, what do you think would be best, a composite wheel or a felt, I am leaning toward the composite since I am a beginner and I don't think I'm ready for using felt. Also, I like the low maintenance of the composite, however I don't want to sacrifice quality. 

Currently I am getting around 100-140 on mid-level kitchen knifes (at least the ones I sampled)

Thanks!

cbwx34

Quote from: MartinC on November 15, 2021, 04:46:19 AM
I am having issues with the Tormek Leather Wheel drying out, at least I think that is the issue. I live in a very dry environment, with little humidity and I suspect the wheel is drying quickly. The SG takes a lot of water each time I used it (2-3 times a week) and the leather wheel is always black and doesn't feel right.

My .02, when the leather wheel gets smooth and 'black', that is when it works best.  If you feel the wheel is too dry (I too live in a dry climate), you can add a little oil. (Just don't overdue it).  Or just a light coating of Tormek compound maybe a little more often, (which has oil in it), should keep it going.

Quote from: MartinC on November 15, 2021, 04:46:19 AM
I was thinking of switching to the composite wheel or possibly a felt wheel, I not sure which would be best.

The composite wheel is a nice addition, mainly 'cause it's maintenance free, and does do a good job.  Of the two, I'd vote for the composite.

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

I was hoping you would reply. My advice would have been the same as yours; however, you have the advantage of living in a dry climate.

Ken

capt rich

Keep the machine covered. I bought mine used and the strop was dry, oiled with sewing machine oil. Waited a couple of days and touched it up . Added stropping past been going great.

Naf

If don't want regularly maintain/clean/add compound to it,  don't be afraid go with composite. I have use it exclusively with standard stone so far. Love it. Tap fingers right get water,  tap fingers left apply water, repeat, hone. Beautiful simplicity.

John_B

Regular use is the best way to keep the wheel working well. I add paste normally for each new session with the wheel but don't bother to do it again that day. As it breaks down with use the paste becomes finer and you get a better edge. I have a spare wheel with 1ยต diamonds that I keep in a big ziplock bag to keep it from being contaminated and drying out.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease