News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

new with questions

Started by carver, December 24, 2006, 01:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carver

Hi I just found this group and have already answered a lot of my questions but I do have a couple questions regarding the Tormeck system.

My dad bought a SG2000 new and used it only a couple times and now I have it. My questions mainly pertain to the leather honing wheels.

First off I noticed the wheel on a demo model was quite smooth and black. Mine is gray and a little fuzzy and the profile wheel looks almost new (hopefully the picture will post)

Now I?ve been reading about applying mineral oil to these wheels. I don?t have the maintenance kit or setup DVD so if I could get a bit of guidance here that would be great.

How much oil do I apply?
How do you apply it?  (Assume with a brush)
How often?

So far I?ve been able to sharpen fine with the grind stone but when it comes to polishing out the fine grind marks with the leather wheel, I can?t seem to get that mirror finish. I?m hoping by conditioning the leather and using more of the compound that will help me??????

I guess I have another question about the bur. How pronounced is the bur supposed to be on carving gouges?

carver

the picture didn't work so I'll try this way.

Jeff Farris

A little bit of mineral oil will give the leather a little more resilience. Just put a little on and rub it in.  Do it to the profiled wheel, too.  Then, put a very thin stripe of honing compound all the way around the wheel.  That should be enough compound to do to 2 or 3 tools.
Jeff Farris

CWSNSONS

Hello, carver;
 Follow Jeff's advice and you'll be okay. We use a basting syringe to apply the oil to the honing wheel. Then we use a flat knife blade to smooth the oil into the wheel. We've found that new honing wheels drink up a lot of oil!
 Happy sharpening!
  Judith, SFE sharpening