News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

186R jig

Started by gfvermont, August 12, 2021, 03:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfvermont

I have Pfeil 8L/35 bent gouge that does not fit into the 186R, by just a really, really small amount?
Has anyone done any modifications to the jig? Maybe filed it out just a very small amount to allow the gouge to fit? The last thing I want to do is ruin the jig just so this gouge will fit.
Any ideas?
Thanks

RichColvin

Is modifying the tool an option?
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

gfvermont

That's a good question...is it?

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Gene.

Tormek builds its jigs to fit a range of tools. If your gouge almost fits, and you can make it fit with a little file work, why not? Here is a link to the replacement parts for the jig. Advanced is the primary parts source in the US.

I have modified several jigs to varying levels of success. With luck, they work better for individual needs. Worst case scenario, we end up replacing parts or the jig.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Ken

gfvermont

thanks Ken, i'll give it a shot.

gfvermont

I wound up using a small file and widened the mouth just a bit so now my 8/35 slides right in!

Ken S