News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Can i use my DBS-22 with this?

Started by pedh@skivekommune.dk, August 02, 2021, 09:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedh@skivekommune.dk

Hello all
I have been a long time lover of the Tormek system. I just got the DBS-22 to use with my Tormek T-7, but i have some problems and questions regarding this jig.
1.  Can the DBS-22 be used to grinde 4 facets on masonry, stone and brick wall drills? or is it only useful for wood and metal drills?
2.  I think it takes a long amount of time to grind anything on my stone (ordinary) is this because i am trying to grind the very hard drills i talked about in my first
     question?

Regards
Peter

micha

Peter,
welcome to the forum.

The DBS is sure meant for wood and metal drills, as you mentioned. There are no instructions around for grinding masonry bits, although these could possibly be aligned the right way, somehow. But then, as you already suspected, masonry bits have carbide inserts, which require diamond stones. Although diamond stones are now available, I don't think it would be a cost effective way of sharpening masonry bits.

Mike

pedh@skivekommune.dk

Hello Micha
Thank You for your answer. It's nice to get a few questions off the way  :)

Regards
Peter 

RickKrung

While I don't disagree that doing heavy grinding of carbide with the Tormek diamond wheels may not be fast, it certainly can be done.  I think, as in the case with HSS drill bits, it would work better to do rough grinding/removal of a lot of material on the more traditional grinding media and then to finishing on the Tormek. 

To that end, the DBS jig can be set up on traditional grinders using the BGM-100 mounting system.  The jig works the same way, allowing heavier grinding.  Bits could be fully ground and finished this way as well.  I have yet to do it, but I think rough grinding in that manner and then finishing on the Tormek could be quite effective.  I am interested in the much greater refinement of the grind finish afforded by the Tormek than I've experienced with traditional grinding media. 

I have for a long time used traditional grinding wheels mounted on my T8 for rough grinding/larger metal removal, running in the water bath.  Initially, I used an 8" dia., 80 grit Notron 3X, but now have a 10" dia., no name wheel to better match the size of the Tormek wheels.  I see no reason why the type of traditional carbide grinding wheel could not also be mounted on the Tormek for the bits you speak of. 

The BGM-100 can also be mounted to a belt grinder.  I've done this on my modified Viel.  Pictured is not a drill bit, but rather a small part for which I made a special holder/jig for grinding flats on a small clamping part. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

pedh@skivekommune.dk

Hello Rick
This is a very fine description of my possibilities, thank you. I have some fun things i need to try. Very exciting.

Regards
Peter 

RickKrung

Since you are new to the forum, may I suggest you spend some good time reading historical posts, in the drill bit sharpening subforum in particular, but others that are of interest to you.  An incredible ressource. 

Specifically, in regard to drill bit sharpening, Joseph Mazoff's article about four and six facet geometries for dill points.  It was one of the deciding factors in my decision to get a Tormek. 

Rick

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Arthur

Hello all
I have been a long time lover of the Tormek system. I just got the DBS-22 to use with my Tormek T-7, but i have some problems and questions regarding this jig.
1.  Can the DBS-22 be used to grinde 4 facets on masonry, stone and brick wall drills? or is it only useful for wood and metal drills?
2.  I think it takes a long amount of time to grind anything on my stone (ordinary) is this because i am trying to grind the very hard drills i talked about in my first
     question?

I use. With a small upgrade DBS-22

Ken S

It would help immensly if drill bits, including carbide masonry bits were not some of our most abused tools.  :(

Ken

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.