News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Skews & turning tool setter

Started by bluntedge, November 29, 2006, 05:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluntedge

I am trying out the new TTS-100 turning tool setter. It work just fine with a spindle gouge. When I tried a skew chisel, however, I am getting a silly long bevel. I am using the settings recommended both on the setter and the accompanying manual; Protrusion 65mm, skew angle on the SVS-50 @ 20 degrees, and the inner hole on the setter.   I am measuring a 20 degree bevel angle instead of the 30 degrees claimed by the manual. Can it be mislabeled? should I be using the 55mm protrusion setting instead?
I stopped grinding before completely finishing the bevel, as it will be a long journey back to the correct angle.

Jeff Farris

My guess is that you have the older style SVS-50 with the rectangular shape.  If that is the case, then you need to adjust the protrusion to 55mm.  See page 40 of the instruction book that came with the TTS-100
Jeff Farris

bluntedge

You are quite right, Jeff, I have the older model. I saw the bit in the manual about trimming the jig, but I had assumed that it was just to allow shorter tools to be sharpened. My mistake now seems obvious as this is the edge the setter registers from.
Thanks,
Bob.  :)

Mark H.

Jeff, I made the same mistake over the weekend with my new oval skew, using the old closed end part.  Luckily I haven't finished grinding, so I have time to fix my mistake.  The angle of the bevel was looking way too narrow and I thought I'd done something wrong.  Now I know.  One other thing I'm having a problem with on this jig.  My oval skew seems to sit a little off when tightened into the closed end.  While it seems to fit nicely in the square bottom of the closed end and in the v-groove of the mounting disc, the original skew bevel edge is just a little cocked to the right when you look down at the business end of the skew.  In other words, the original vertical bevel edge leans a little to the right instead of being exactly parallel to the closed end frame.  As I'm grinding, the grinding is taking place in different areas of the skew from one side of the skew to the other, which makes sense given the slight leaning of the bevel (or the skew itself) in the jig.  Could the little bit of slop in the brass mounting disc relative to the inside of the closed end frame be allowing the skew to lean one way when the knob is tightened?  Or was the original bevel just off.

Jeff Farris

Mark,

My guess is that the original bevel was off.  Even on factory fresh skews, I've found the bevels to be off by a very large amount.  It is possible that the vee block on the clamping pad is catching on something on the skew.  Make sure that there are no burrs.  Sometimes if you just release the clamp and retighten it, the skew will center better.
Jeff Farris

Mark H.

Thanks Jeff.  I'll check out the burr thing and see how it all turns out when I regrind it (correctly this time).  Since I was on your site anyway, I got myself an Xmas gift of the BMG-100 and a new version closed seat to update my SVS-50.  that should speed up my reshaping of future tools, and give my tired fingers a break.