News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tornado Jr. 8" CBN Wheel stops spinning on T-4

Started by See Y Not, May 02, 2021, 01:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

See Y Not

I received my Tornado Jr. 8" CBN Wheels (400 & 1200) today and tested them out on my T-4.  It was disappointing that things didn't go well.

1st) There's a lag between when the T-4 is powered on and when the wheel starts spinning.
2nd) The wheel would stop spinning when I try to sharpen.  I didn't even use that much pressure.  Only using the jig and knife and my fingers for stabilization.
3rd) Unlike the SG stone, I can't just hold the honing wheel while turning CBN wheel to loosen the lock nut.  I can spin the CBN wheel freely while holding the honing wheel.

Just curious if anybody else have had the same problem or have any suggestions?

cbwx34

Quote from: See Y Not on May 02, 2021, 01:47:46 AM
I received my Tornado Jr. 8" CBN Wheels (400 & 1200) today and tested them out on my T-4.  It was disappointing that things didn't go well.

1st) There's a lag between when the T-4 is powered on and when the wheel starts spinning.
2nd) The wheel would stop spinning when I try to sharpen.  I didn't even use that much pressure.  Only using the jig and knife and my fingers for stabilization.
3rd) Unlike the SG stone, I can't just hold the honing wheel while turning CBN wheel to loosen the lock nut.  I can spin the CBN wheel freely while holding the honing wheel.

Just curious if anybody else have had the same problem or have any suggestions?

I believe it's because the width of the wheels is less than the stock wheel... you need to add a washer or spacer to get them to work properly.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Cee.

I agree with CB. The "cheap and dirty" way to fix this is with a 12mm (hole) by 38mm outside diameter fender washer. I have bought them at my local big box hardware store. They come in packs of two or three and are not expensive. Stainless steel is better if you can find it, although regular steel will get the job done if you keep it dry and oiled between uses. In a pinch, a thickness or two of plastic gift card will work.

Keep us posted.

Ken

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/WC6420000A20000

See Y Not

Thanks for the replies fellas.  I'll give it a try.

See Y Not

So I purchased the 12mm fender washer, slapped that suck on, and the sun and stars have aligned for me again.

Once again, thanks for the help fellas!  Cheers!!