News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Veritas low angle spoke shave blade

Started by sbachner, October 23, 2006, 09:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbachner

The Veritas low angle spoke shave blade is very narrow, too narrow for the straight blade jig.  And I couldn't accomadate it on the tool reset either.  I sharpened it by hand, but I was curious how to do it using the Tormek?

Thanks,
SteveB.

Jeff Farris

I grind very small spokeshave blades by just catching their back edge in the front of the SVH-60 straight edge jig, and squaring the edge of the blade to the jig with a small engineer's square.
Jeff Farris

sbachner

Thanks Jeff.

I tried that but the castings(?) on the bottom of the jig contacted the wheel when the jig was adjusted to the blades bevel angle.  I only tried it with the tool rest in the vertical position.  I'll double check it and try it on the other side of the machine.

I may just build a simple holding jig also.

Thanks,
SteveB.

Jeff Farris

You only need a very small bite on the back edge of the blade.  I can get the Lie-Nielsen small spokeshave blades in with no problem.  I don't know how they compare in size to the Veritas.
Jeff Farris

sbachner

Here are a few pictures Jeff.  First the blade itself,

The rectangular section is 3/8" wide by 2 1/4".  The overall blade width is 3/4".

Here's the bladed mounted in the jig,

and here's the jig on the Tormek,

I just realized that's not a good pic since you can't see the tool rest.  But, the tool rest is down all the way and the bevel is not aligned.

I'm probably goofing something up  :).  Thanks for helping.

Jeff Farris

You're not goofing anything up.  That blade is way too short for the straight edge jig.  It is much shorter than the Lie-Nielsen blade.  

Do you have the knife jig?  That might work.
Jeff Farris

sbachner

I do have the knife jig and now I have an excuse to take it out of the box  ;D.

If I can't get it to work with one of the Tormek jigs, I probably build a simple jig.

Thanks for your timely help Jeff  :).

SteveB.