News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

200x Microscope under £100? UK

Started by ABall, December 11, 2020, 09:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABall

Quote from: van on December 27, 2020, 06:15:22 PM
Quote from: ABall on December 27, 2020, 05:45:02 PM
Quote from: van on December 27, 2020, 05:23:23 PM
Sorry, but from the photo I don't understand what problem you want to point out,
Unfortunately I am unable to post a photo of myself.

No worries, a few people have commented that the stand isnt bolted square so the microscope isnt square to the object, the picture is the knuckle joint where the microscope connects to the base, its clearly drilled badly.

Alan
I have not encountered any "relevant" problems,
I just added a circular light to improve the brightness.
Of course it still remains a cheap microscope, but it does its job.

Absolutely. 

ABall

Looks like your Global Minosharp works much better.

Eek,  dont say that lol.

Why are you looking for an alternative?  Just want something faster and more convenient that a stand mounted one?  Also, one that doesn't require benchspace?  All three are some of my reasons. 

I wasn't looking for an alternate to be fair, before a couple of days ago I didn't own one so I'm on a voyage.  Knowing what people are already using helps, I've got the kingmass coming in maybe a month from HK and I didnt think the cost of the Carson bad so thought I would give it a try. The one with the screen doesn't seem bad for £50, probably easier to use but I would like to see some results before I buy another.

RickKrung

Quote from: van on December 27, 2020, 03:14:23 PM
I have tried to use portable microscopes, but they have difficulty keeping the various blades in focus. Lately I have been using a microscope, for me, very valid at a cheap price that can be purchased on Chinese sites. It could be a good solution.

Looks interesting.  I'd be interested in some photos posted that you have taken with it.  Plus a "review" of it if possible, to include your ability to discern micro details of the burr at different stages of deburring. 

I ask because looking at the reviews at the link you provided, I find a lot of negative comments but it is curious that the lowest review of "4" given the comments that abound in the reviews.  Doesn't magnify anywhere near 1200x, more like 100x-400x. Focus jumpy, poorly finished, difficulty getting the USB connect connected, some arrive without a battery, "more of a macroscope than a microscope", "Nice gadget for children".  The lack of magnification was stated MANY times and was the most common comment.  Very curious about all the 4 and above ratings, given some were complaining of never receiving the unit but still had a "5" rating. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

van

It being understood that it is always an economic microscope.
I can assure you that his "dirty" job does.
Maybe I was lucky but I have not encountered major problems, there are two models, one with a rechargeable battery and one without a battery.
If I can, soon, I'll post exhaustive photos of the various degrees of resolution of the images.
There are many videos about it on YouTube used for other application methodologies but they give valuable help.
Kindly yours

ABall

Quote from: van on December 27, 2020, 06:52:52 PM
It being understood that it is always an economic microscope.
I can assure you that his "dirty" job does.
Maybe I was lucky but I have not encountered major problems, there are two models, one with a rechargeable battery and one without a battery.
If I can, soon, I'll post exhaustive photos of the various degrees of resolution of the images.
There are many videos about it on YouTube used for other application methodologies but they give valuable help.

That would be excellent Van, look forward to the pics, looking at irrelevant objects doesn't tell us what it's like from a knife edge view unless there are others that have shown its capability in this aera....

Alan

van

Here are some shots from my microscope.
I hope they are satisfactory for the purpose. (RESIZE)
Kindly yours

ABall

Thanks van. What are we looking at, I mean what stone grades etc.
Also how did you snap the pics?

van

Quote from: ABall on December 27, 2020, 09:59:17 PM
Thanks van. What are we looking at, I mean what stone grades etc.
Also how did you snap the pics?
These are photos of the bevel of a knife yet to be sharpened.
The inexpensive microscope I use has an SD card for capturing both photos and videos. By connecting the microscope to the computer via a usb cable you can transfer the whole thing or use the computer monitor for a larger view
Kindly yours

ABall

Thanks for uploading the pics van, I guess the important question is how easy is it to focus and is it stable, seems to be from your pics.

RickKrung

Quote from: van on December 27, 2020, 10:10:19 PM
...snip...
These are photos of the bevel of a knife yet to be sharpened.
...snip...

Van,

Following. 

Some comments/questions regarding the bevel/apex in the above images. 

1) What is the magnification of these images?

2) I'm not seeing anything that appears to be in sharp focus. 

3) Question first.  What surface (if any) is parallel to the camera lens?  Comment: Given the very shallow depth of field within microscopes (getting worse [shallower] with greater magnification) whatever surface you are interested in should be positioned so as to be presented "flat" to the face of the camera lens.  Stated another way, the surface of interest should be perpendicular to the long axis of the camera.  Doing so will increase the amount of the surface of interest that is within the focus range at the magnification in use. 

A way of addressing this shallow depth of field is with image stacking - taking multiple images at different focal locations, stacking them together and using software to select only the sharply focused regions to combine into a final image.  Some cameras will do this internally but this function is also available in some image processing software packages.  Examples are shown below, taken by Cyrano over on the BESSEX, first one non-stacked of jus the tip, second one stacked over a range of the tip.  These also provide good examples of images in sharp focus.  Note that magnification is around 245X.  Thread on the BESSEX started by Cyrano; didn't find the photos I posted, but did find another great example in post #9.

A couple years ago, when I was in search of a good USB scope for these same purposes, I was using these images as reference points.  As mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, my efforts were in vain, even though I was using the same or similar USB camera as Cyrano.  Never did figure out why, except that in deep conversations with the manufacturer's tech team, I learned they were having difficulties with the sensors used in their current scopes, which is why I ended up returning all. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

van

There are two ways of focusing:
Either raise and lower the whole group or for more accurate focus you can use the central knob below the display. To have a decent brightness, I installed circular LEDs such as those used for high-end microscopes. The stability is optimal certainly superior to portable ones. The whole block is very stable for my use. A modification that I have implemented is to paint the chrome base with matte black to avoid annoying reflections for me.
Surely it is as You assert. These are photos taken on the fly without any software, which I don't have. With more time I will surely be able to post better photos. This is what I have and use, surely there are better miroscopes ...
Kindly yours

ABall

Quote from: van on December 27, 2020, 10:55:00 PM
There are two ways of focusing:
Either raise and lower the whole group or for more accurate focus you can use the central knob below the display. To have a decent brightness, I installed circular LEDs such as those used for high-end microscopes. The stability is optimal certainly superior to portable ones. The whole block is very stable for my use. A modification that I have implemented is to paint the chrome base with matte black to avoid annoying reflections for me.
Surely it is as You assert. These are photos taken on the fly without any software, which I don't have. With more time I will surely be able to post better photos. This is what I have and use, surely there are better miroscopes ...
There are always something  better bit it's good to get results on a budget!

RickKrung

Are you guys blowing off my questions/comments because the device you are using is not a higher end unit? 

van

indeed!!! with these types of inexpensive microscopes you cannot expect "depth of field" for that purpose there are high quality, high priced dedicated microscopes. It all depends on the purpose of use and if the "game is worth the candle"
Kindly yours

ABall

Quote from: RickKrung on December 27, 2020, 11:23:59 PM
Are you guys blowing off my questions/comments because the device you are using is not a higher end unit?
Steady on Rick, you've only asked one "guy" questions and it's pretty clear he's using a cheap ass microscope,  I would love it to be a panacea for all our ills but it's just a cheap Chinese product, I would also like it to be the scope we are looking for but I dont think van has any preconceptions of it been a high end device, he has said as such....  I dont think van is going to answer all your questions even though I would like to know those answers too...