News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

200x Microscope under £100? UK

Started by ABall, December 11, 2020, 09:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABall

Quote from: RickKrung on December 14, 2020, 11:44:43 PM
Quote from: ABall on December 14, 2020, 10:42:07 PM
Fantastic info thank you for the input. I think I will do as you say and get a loupe for now, didnt even know what that was before I posted this.  I may then stretch to something more expensivebif it helps me sharpen.
ATB.
Alan.

I think you are best to start there and gain experience, both with sharpening and examining your work.  I've settled on the 60X hand microscope.  A couple of years ago, I bought and tried out this model of Dino-Lite, primarily for the purpose of capturing higher magnification images of apexes and burrs. 

Very hefty price tag and extremely disappointing result, particularly given that.  I ended up trying three different units and models.  Sent them all back. 

Rick

Cheers Rick, I've been looking at all the loupe choices on amazon, very small lenses on the 60x versions, I might get one of the kingmas clones.

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

ABall

Just to update, I've ordered the kingmass from HK, no idea when it will arrive with all our dock problems so I also purchased the Carson clip on model and that arrived toot sweet, I can say it's an amazing product for the price but an absolute PITA to use.....

Ken S

RickKrung

Quote from: ABall on December 26, 2020, 10:05:16 PM
Just to update, I've ordered the kingmass from HK, no idea when it will arrive with all our dock problems so I also purchased the Carson clip on model and that arrived toot sweet, I can say it's an amazing product for the price but an absolute PITA to use.....

ABall,

I'm curious what you mean by the "Carson clip on model". 

Along the way, I found and bought a clip on version of the Kingmas 60X, but do not use it as a clip on.  I tried it that way and found it did a remarkable job, but just wasn't practical.  The graduation marks in the one photo are 1mm.  My curiousity is whether you found one similar. 

I'm also interested in what you are finding to be the PITA about using it.  I know it is awkward, to get close enough with good light and the depth of field is so shallow that it is difficult to get the image in focus and keep it there long enough to figure anything out.  It is a Kingmas 60X that you are having the PITA with?  Or the "Carson clip on"?   

Two tricks I've figured out about the Kingmas. 1) hold the knife up toward a good light source and orient so you have good light reflection from the bevel.  2) focus the Kingmas slightly closer than at the contact point of the clear ring and then touch the clear ring to the blade and then tilt the Kingmas away on one side until the apex or bevel comes in to focus.  Touching and tilting this way, I can achieve the focus I want and it allows me to maintain that focus. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

ABall

Quote from: RickKrung on December 27, 2020, 07:05:43 AM
Quote from: ABall on December 26, 2020, 10:05:16 PM

ABall,

I'm curious what you mean by the "Carson clip on model". 

Along the way, I found and bought a clip on version of the Kingmas 60X, but do not use it as a clip on.  I tried it that way and found it did a remarkable job, but just wasn't practical.  The graduation marks in the one photo are 1mm.  My curiousity is whether you found one similar. 

I'm also interested in what you are finding to be the PITA about using it.  I know it is awkward, to get close enough with good light and the depth of field is so shallow that it is difficult to get the image in focus and keep it there long enough to figure anything out.  It is a Kingmas 60X that you are having the PITA with?  Or the "Carson clip on"?   

Two tricks I've figured out about the Kingmas. 1) hold the knife up toward a good light source and orient so you have good light reflection from the bevel.  2) focus the Kingmas slightly closer than at the contact point of the clear ring and then touch the clear ring to the blade and then tilt the Kingmas away on one side until the apex or bevel comes in to focus.  Touching and tilting this way, I can achieve the focus I want and it allows me to maintain that focus. 

Rick

The clip on model doesnt have the same viewer for your eye as its designed to fit on the clip, there were comments on reviews that this made it harder to look through it but I wanted to take pics. heres the model. Its a PITA because Im not used to it I guess, shaky hands from all the beer the night before, A galaxy S9plus = difficult to hold and take snaps in focus, as soon as you touch the phone to take a shot it moves, go figure. lol

Heres a couple of pics of the SJ grind.

and one from my Global Minosharp that I use daily on all my knives.

Alan

ABall

van

I have tried to use portable microscopes, but they have difficulty keeping the various blades in focus. Lately I have been using a microscope, for me, very valid at a cheap price that can be purchased on Chinese sites. It could be a good solution.
Kindly yours

ABall

Quote from: van on December 27, 2020, 03:14:23 PM
I have tried to use portable microscopes, but they have difficulty keeping the various blades in focus. Lately I have been using a microscope, for me, very valid at a cheap price that can be purchased on Chinese sites. It could be a good solution.

Definitely tricky with the Carson, thanks for the link...

Alan

van

Sorry, but from the photo I don't understand what problem you want to point out,
Unfortunately I am unable to post a photo of myself.
Kindly yours

ABall

Quote from: van on December 27, 2020, 05:23:23 PM
Sorry, but from the photo I don't understand what problem you want to point out,

No worries, a few people have commented that the stand isnt bolted square so the microscope isnt square to the object, the picture is the knuckle joint where the microscope connects to the base, its clearly drilled badly.

Alan

RickKrung

Quote from: ABall on December 27, 2020, 01:52:27 PM
...snip...
The clip on model doesnt have the same viewer for your eye as its designed to fit on the clip, there were comments on reviews that this made it harder to look through it but I wanted to take pics. heres the model. Its a PITA because Im not used to it I guess, shaky hands from all the beer the night before, A galaxy S9plus = difficult to hold and take snaps in focus, as soon as you touch the phone to take a shot it moves, go figure. lol

...snip...
Alan

Ah, yes, the Carson.  I have one, but forgot that I have it.  That says a lot...  Still prefer the Kingmas 60x.

The Carson I have is about 40x-120x but the lower end is not specified.  I think 100x as a lower end is too much for a handheld, which may be part of the problem.  I don't care for the light source.  Too bright, there are too many too bright reflections such that I cannot see the actual details along the bevel/apex.  Plus, I find it very difficult to move it along the bevel, even at 40x.  The image is reversed so that could be part of the problem. The one I have is not a clip on, one either to objective or viewing end, so I cannot comment on those features. 

Looks like your Global Minosharp works much better.

Why are you looking for an alternative?  Just want something faster and more convenient that a stand mounted one?  Also, one that doesn't require benchspace?  All three are some of my reasons. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

van

Quote from: ABall on December 27, 2020, 05:45:02 PM
Quote from: van on December 27, 2020, 05:23:23 PM

No worries, a few people have commented that the stand isnt bolted square so the microscope isnt square to the object, the picture is the knuckle joint where the microscope connects to the base, its clearly drilled badly.

Alan
I have not encountered any "relevant" problems,
I just added a circular light to improve the brightness.
Of course it still remains a cheap microscope, but it does its job.
Kindly yours