News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

o-ring for my svm-45 knife jig?

Started by John S, September 21, 2020, 03:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Hello,

The o-ring in my svm-45 disintegrated.  It seems a standard o-ring. Can anyone tell me the specs so I may obtain one? I am sure I ran the adjustment to one or the other end trying to match the length to my Kenjig. That may have stressed the o-ring.

Also should I use some silicone lube on the other jig o-rings to stop the same from happening on my others?

Thank you in advance.   John

Ken S

Hello,John.

I would suggest contacting support for technical specs of the O ring (It is ths same O ring for both knife jigs.)
Here is the parts listing at Advanced  Machinery:

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/3560-o-ring

I am puzzled about the deteriorated O ring when used with the Kenjig. I use the kenjig with three different knife jigs. That way, very little adjustment of the adjustable stop for different knives is minimal. In developing the kenjig, I removed and replaced adjustable stops many times. I never encountered deteriorated O rings, although I know neither why I didn't or why you did.

If I had to replace a deteriorated O ring, I would order a spare. I think I would use some Vaseline to help get the new ring in place, although I might get advice from support before doing this.

Please post your results.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: John S on September 21, 2020, 03:17:10 AM
Hello,

The o-ring in my svm-45 disintegrated.  It seems a standard o-ring. Can anyone tell me the specs so I may obtain one? I am sure I ran the adjustment to one or the other end trying to match the length to my Kenjig. That may have stressed the o-ring.

Also should I use some silicone lube on the other jig o-rings to stop the same from happening on my others?

Thank you in advance.   John

I would contact Tormek and see if they'll send you some, if your setup is under warranty (or even if it's not). ;)

I would not use any lube... the purpose of the O-ring is to prevent the collar from moving, and it will defeat the purpose.  I actually ended up adding a screw back to mine to prevent it from rotating during use...

In fact, in looking for that picture, I found this thread you may find of interest...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3522.0

... note in the first post it says... "the O ring disintegrated"...  :(
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

micha

Hi John,

it seems to be a standard O-ring 9mm x 2,5mm. (inner diameter x material thickness).
I already had to replace one too and took one from some assortment box. Worked fine.

Hope that helps -

Mike

Ken S

John S

Ken,

I see due to my poor choice of words it could be assumed I was faulting the Kenjig.  I was not. The kenjig is perfect.  My problem is I was trying to unscrew the adjuster too far while I just happened to be trying for 139 mm distance. I guess because Kenjig is my favorite method of quickly setting length and always using it, in my mind they are intertwined.

Apologies to the Kenjig and its reputation.

John

John S

Ken, CB, and Mike,

I read the entire link about their o-ring issue.  Interesting reading.  Thank you for the information. Looks like i'll write Tormek about the o-ring. Also i'll pick a few 9mmx2.5 spares. i will refrain from lubricating them.  I believe silicone grease would be the lube i would use if i was to grease them because silicone does not attack rubber.

You folks are generous with your information. Thanks.

John