News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tantos and Recurves on the T4

Started by DCMartin, September 03, 2020, 07:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCMartin

Hi all, basically my first post here, this community is a wealth of information! 

Ok, so I picked up a T4 Bushcraft and a Japanese Water Wheel and I have to say, I am loving it.  I've been sharpening for over 10yrs with everything but a Tormek...  I curently have a Wicked Edge, Edge Pro, Paper wheels and just about everything else.   I must say, the Tormek is a definite step above.  I've only had it for about 2 weeks and it feel like putting on an old pair of jeans... It just fits well.  I am loving the results.   

I have a couple of questions maybe some of you experienced Tormek users might be able to help me with.

How do you go about sharpening a Tanto edge? I tried free handing it but my grinds were not perfectly symmetrical, is there a way to use the knife jig?

Secondly, how do you guys go about sharpening a recurve?  Is it only on the edge of the wheel?

One last question to those with the Japanese Water Wheel.   When I got mine (Amazon vendor)  It had a few good sized chips on one of the outer edges,  I did try it but it seemed that the edge of the knife was catching (just a teeny bit) so I returned it and got another.   Me trying it didn't make it worse but i figured for $$$ i paid, I better get one with zero defects. 
Is that common for them to come with a chip(s)?

Thanks in advance :)

cbwx34

Quote from: DCMartin on September 03, 2020, 07:25:41 PM
Hi all, basically my first post here, this community is a wealth of information! 

Ok, so I picked up a T4 Bushcraft and a Japanese Water Wheel and I have to say, I am loving it.  I've been sharpening for over 10yrs with everything but a Tormek...  I curently have a Wicked Edge, Edge Pro, Paper wheels and just about everything else.   I must say, the Tormek is a definite step above.  I've only had it for about 2 weeks and it feel like putting on an old pair of jeans... It just fits well.  I am loving the results.   

I have a couple of questions maybe some of you experienced Tormek users might be able to help me with.

How do you go about sharpening a Tanto edge? I tried free handing it but my grinds were not perfectly symmetrical, is there a way to use the knife jig?

Secondly, how do you guys go about sharpening a recurve?  Is it only on the edge of the wheel?

One last question to those with the Japanese Water Wheel.   When I got mine (Amazon vendor)  It had a few good sized chips on one of the outer edges,  I did try it but it seemed that the edge of the knife was catching (just a teeny bit) so I returned it and got another.   Me trying it didn't make it worse but i figured for $$$ i paid, I better get one with zero defects. 

Tanto knives need to be sharpened with each section separately.  Sharpco has a pretty good video on it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvlWF_3fcTE

... you don't need a laser guide to do it, but the key takeaway is how each section is done.  (You also don't necessarily need a "pivot collar" that he shows, but it makes it easier).

Sharpening recurves... you are correct to do it on the edge of the wheel.  For this another video, this from KnifeGrinders...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug_GvJco0vM

... note how he rounds the edges of the wheel to do the recurve.

I can't answer if it's common for the SJ wheel to show up chipped, but my general impression is, it is easy to chip.  Rounding the edges on both sides helps to negate this.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

DCMartin

Quote from: cbwx34 on September 03, 2020, 10:55:26 PM
Quote from: DCMartin on September 03, 2020, 07:25:41 PM

Tanto knives need to be sharpened with each section separately.  Sharpco has a pretty good video on it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvlWF_3fcTE

... you don't need a laser guide to do it, but the key takeaway is how each section is done.  (You also don't necessarily need a "pivot collar" that he shows, but it makes it easier).

Sharpening recurves... you are correct to do it on the edge of the wheel.  For this another video, this from KnifeGrinders...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug_GvJco0vM

... note how he rounds the edges of the wheel to do the recurve.

I can't answer if it's common for the SJ wheel to show up chipped, but my general impression is, it is easy to chip.  Rounding the edges on both sides helps to negate this.

Thank you!   I will check those out, I'm learning a little every day.   Appreciate the input :)