News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Just Got A T-4 and a 1x30 Belt Sander, Advice Needed

Started by jasonstone20, September 01, 2020, 06:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonstone20

I just got a T-4 about two months ago, and it took me that long to get good with the Tormek.  Being proficient on the Tormek gave me the confidence to get a 1x30 belt sander. I have the regular knife jig(SVM-45), and the small knife jig(SVM-00).  I am wanting to get the MB-100 Multi-Base, the US-430 Universal Support Extended guide bar, the Japanese Waterstone(SJ-200), and a Tornado Jr CBN wheel for the T-4.  I added a magnet to the water tray to pick up the metal.  I rounded one corner of the regular stone (SG 200) so I can do recurves and hawkbills.  I sharpened my Spyderco Lil' Matriarch using that method, and it was the only way I managed to get the knife sharp.  I have noticed that the Tormek gets knives sharp that I had a lot of difficulty sharpening by hand.  I really thing that using the Tormek is the best way to sharpen a knife.  I have freehand sharpened with whetstones for years, and the Tormek is just amazing, it leaves awesome perfect edges. I really like the Tormek T-4, and I want to get a T-8 someday.  I sometimes think I should have gotten the T-8 instead of the T-4. because it has so many more options and wheels made for it.  I think I will be fine with the regular wheel and the Japanese wheel with the T-4, it just would be nice to have the same options as the T-8.  I got the T-4 because I live in a small apartment, and the T-4 is a lot smaller and lighter than the T-8, so I went with the T-4. 

Any suggestions on how I should go about adding and using accessories for the T-4?  Also, does anyone have advice for a set of belts to use for the 1x30?
Thank you in advance.
Jason

Ken S

Jason,

Based on your post, your T4 was a logical choice. You live in a small apartment and you sharpen knives.

Options? I would divide this into two questions: What options are available? And, what options do you realistically need?

All of the Tormek jigs are fully functional with either the T4 or T8.

If you think that only two grinding wheels are available for the T4, keep looking. I have had eight wheels for my T4. The four Tormek made wheels include two diamond wheels. Three of the other wheels are conventional wheels in 80 and 46 grit. The eighth wheel is a 180 grit CBN. In addition to these wheels, which are already more than one needs, there are several more available. You just have to know where to look.

The two Tormek diamond wheels (DWF-200 and DWC-200) are marketed by Tormek for the T2. Both cut very well and fit the T4 exactly. The only drawback is that they are only designed to work dry. I think this will change in the not too distant future. Both diamond and CBN wheels are evolving.

In the past, the larger motor of the T8 size Tormeks allowed for more pressure and heavier grinding. With the lighter pressure required with diamond and CBN grinding, I no longer see much advantage in a larger motor.

With belts, you will find a Scotch Brite very fine grit useful for removing staining and surface rust.

Ken

jasonstone20

Interesting, thank you!  I didn't know that the T2 wheels would fit the T4, that is good to know.  I did find a CBN wheel, the Tornado JR that someone makes for the T4.  For just sharpening knives, the SG-200 wheel works awesome, it chews threw any steel I have given it, even high carbide steels like M390 and S90V.  I really want the Japaneses Waterstone Wheel, the SJ-200 so I can have mirror edges, I really like shiny edges on knives for some reason.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: jasonstone20 on September 01, 2020, 06:09:44 PM
I really want the Japaneses Waterstone Wheel, the SJ-200 so I can have mirror edges, I really like shiny edges on knives for some reason.

You can get mirror finishes with the SG and the honing wheel. Make sure the SG is free of swarf by applying the coarse side of the stone grader if necessary. Then use the fine side of the stone grader, but you have to apply a lot of force and spend a lot of time to get the SG properly graded. Then, after sharpening the knife use the honing wheel. In my experience this gives a mirror finish. I've never tried the SJ.

Knives that are sharpened in this way may not perform well for some kitchen tasks. For example, when slicing a tomato I like the knife edge to be a bit rough so it cuts through the tomato skin better. On the other hand, that nice smooth finish is good for carving wood. I'll never forget the first time I got a wood chisel sharp with my Tormek. The chisel performed like a completely different tool. I spent several years working as a carpenter and had never appreciated the value of a chisel because I never had a truly sharp one.
Origin: Big Bang

jasonstone20

Ok, I will give it a try.  When the T4 was new, I was able to get a mirror edge, but I haven't been able to do that recently.

jasonstone20

Ken,
I was thinking about getting the SJ-200 Japanese Waterstone next.  Do you think it is a worth it for sharpening knives?

cbwx34

Quote from: jasonstone20 on September 02, 2020, 07:48:36 PM
I was thinking about getting the SJ-200 Japanese Waterstone next.  Do you think it is a worth it for sharpening knives?

My vote is no... especially since you sharpen higher end steels.  Coarser wheels like the SG will work on them, but the finer you go, the less effective they are.

I would look into a 2nd leather wheel and use it with a diamond compound.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Quote from: jasonstone20 on September 02, 2020, 07:47:28 PM
Ok, I will give it a try.  When the T4 was new, I was able to get a mirror edge, but I haven't been able to do that recently.

That sounds like a technique problem rather than an equipment problem. It also sounds like something not related to which Tormek model you are using.

I would suggest serious study (meaning multiple careful watchings) of the Tormek online knife sharpening class and focused sharpening. Don't hesitate to post questions.

Ken

cbwx34

I didn't see this earlier.

Some have had luck grading the stone with a diamond plate.  For example...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2656.0
https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3681.0

... you can use the fine diamond plate to grade it finer/smoother.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

jasonstone20

Thanks, I will watch the videos again and try a diamond plate to condition the stone.  I have an inexpensive one from eBay that I can use.

jasonstone20

Quote from: Ken S on September 02, 2020, 09:39:01 PM

That sounds like a technique problem rather than an equipment problem. It also sounds like something not related to which Tormek model you are using.

I would suggest serious study (meaning multiple careful watchings) of the Tormek online knife sharpening class and focused sharpening. Don't hesitate to post questions.

Ken

I think you are right.  Originally, when I was getting mirror edges, I graded the stone on the coarse side, sharpened, then graded the stone to the fine side, sharpened, and then honed.  Now I am just leaving the stone graded fine, and using it, then going to the honing wheel.  This lead to the 'no mirror edge' thing I think.

Ken S

CB,

Thanks for posting the two topics links. The first topic is an excellent example of why I prefer this forum over social media platforms. There is a depth of information in the topic that I have not seen on facebook. Also, several opinions are intelligently presented.
I realize what I call "soundbite topics" are popular these days. I am the dinosaur; I prefer more in depth posts and do not mind reading several pages or watching longer videos. This forum has great potential to advance Tormek technology. Unfortunately, I believe that Tormek, like the rest of the marketing world is focused on facebook and instagram.
I remain hopeful.

Ken

Ken S

Jason,
Pick one knife and stay with it until you get the result you want. You will save time in the long run.
Ken

jasonstone20

John_B

One issue I have with Facebook, Instagram and the Internet in general is that everyone thinks of themselves as an expert or well qualified to give an opinion. Unfortunately, most times they are simply repeating what they have heard or read. Product review sites are rampant with plagiarism and it is virtually impossible to site an original source. Urban myths are so wildly spread they are accepted as fact even though most are not backed up by science.

This site is well run and the experience of the members is unmatched by most Internet. sites.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease