News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T4 or T8

Started by Segovia123, August 20, 2020, 06:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segovia123

I have agreed a price with a supplier for the T4 and three jigs and a cover, price is working out around £475.00.

However, for another £60.00 I could get the T8 with the SE-77 which is the jig that will get 95% of the most use.

Would the T8 be a better option for me, I can add the tooltest and knife sharpening jig at a later date when I need them.

J

jeffs55

While the T4 is more than adequate for nearly everyone remember this, " you can use less of more but you cannot make more of less".
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Segovia123

Juts looked at the T8 spec and the truing jig is also included, makes it a no brainer I am thinking

Segovia123

PS - the dealer is now telling me about the custom T8 with no honing or griding wheel.

cbwx34

Quote from: Segovia123 on August 20, 2020, 08:59:14 PM
PS - the dealer is now telling me about the custom T8 with no honing or griding wheel.

It's hard to sharpen without those....  ;)

Seriously though, unless you have a specific need... it's not that good a deal.  By the time you get everything... you can end up paying more.  YMMV.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I agree with CB. The custom is a very good idea for an advanced user needing a second Tormek for high volume, multi wheel work. The "original" (formerly known as just "the T8" or "the T4") is the best choice as a first Tormek. You need the SG and the leather honing wheel.

Ken

Segovia123

Am I correct in thinking the T8 has the better upgrade options / path ?

Ken S

Here are links to two well done videos which will give you a fair comparison between the two models:

https://youtu.be/5d8jcG6bzJ4

https://youtu.be/P1qTcD1kKis

You should forget any difference in price and make your decision based on your intended use. All of the jigs fit either model. At the present time, the selection of grinding wheels is somewhat more limited for the T4, although that is changing. Either will handle knives and woodworking tools. If you have definite plans to sharpen fifty to one hundred knives a week most weeks or other heavy grinding requirements, you will probably prefer the T8. If your sharpening requirements are like most of us, either will work.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Segovia123 on August 20, 2020, 06:59:55 PM
I have agreed a price with a supplier for the T4 and three jigs and a cover, price is working out around £475.00.

However, for another £60.00 I could get the T8 with the SE-77 which is the jig that will get 95% of the most use.

Would the T8 be a better option for me, I can add the tooltest and knife sharpening jig at a later date when I need them.

Quote from: Segovia123 on August 21, 2020, 10:25:46 AM
Am I correct in thinking the T8 has the better upgrade options / path ?

Adding the SE-77 and the TT-50 (not to mention the wheel size difference), would put you way over the price of just getting the T-8, unless I'm missing something.  So, I'm not sure what your concern is now?  Like you said...

Quote from: Segovia123 on August 20, 2020, 08:54:51 PM
Juts looked at the T8 spec and the truing jig is also included, makes it a no brainer I am thinking

There are a few "upgrade options", mainly diamond and CBN wheels available for the T-8, that aren't for the T-4.  (I can't think of other options at the moment).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

thisguysharpens

Hi there,

Take my opinion with a bowl of salt as I have only one day using my T-8, but here is a thought I had when using it: as a beginner, I was going very slooooooowly with everything, which meant that the machine was spinning for most of 3 hours I think. There was a fair amount of heat I could feel, and I remember thinking that I was so happy I spent the extra money to get the T-8 (which permits for continuous running) as opposed to the T-4 (which permits only 30 minutes of run-time each hour).

I like the peace of mind knowing that the T-8 is meant to run for long periods of time and with lots more stress for a total newbie.

Also, it appears the T-8 custom is not good for a first-time buyer. Get the T-8 original package that includes all the basics. Personally, I have added the standard knife jig, the rubber mat, and the rotating base--I bet you will want those three items too, but like me, you may just get the basic model and then decide an hour later that you want to others.

Good luck and happy sharpening

Ukfraser

Ive just bought a t-4 and am very happy with it. It so depends how much you are going to use it. When mine first arrived i spent a couple of hours sharpening chisels which needed it. I havent found the limited run time to be an issue.

I have a load of other jobs as well as sort out my workshop so havent got round to planes or my better chisels yet.

I plan to get more jigs when my list of garden jobs has come down and i can spend time on my knives.

You quote £ and if you are in the uk, the price you quoted looks high and the difference looks low. Not sure if i can mention suppliers on the forum but look at norfolk saw services (i found them on the tormek site) as they seem the most competitively priced in the uk at the moment.

I did the maths between the two which was quite a big influence, but as others have said the t8 gives you more options including side sharpening on the diamond wheels but if you are into wood turning, i would certainly go for a t8.

The t4 seems quite adequate for chisels and planes (and i have a reasonable number) but it so depends on how much you are going to use it and your tools. Currently im not using my tools enough to warrant frequent resharpening but that may change once ive got the garden carpentry sorted and start using my hand tools much more.

Ken S

Ukfraser,

I happened to meet with a Tormek rep and a rep from the US agent in 2014 when the T4 was introduced. I was concerned about the "thirty minute duty cycle" with the T4. I described a scenario where a T4 user had purchased his machine just under seven years ago, the warranty limit for non professional, non educational use. If the motor failed at that point, would Tormek repair or replace it under warranty? Both answered a definite yes.

When I asked about the procedure, they said: Contact Tormek. Tormek will email a postage paid shipping label to ship your Tormek to them at no cost to you. Tormek will repair or replace anything needed, returning your Tormek in essentially "like new" condition (not including wear on the grinding wheel). The whole process usually does not require more than a week or so. Repairs are rare.

Since then, I have not worried about a supposed "thirty minute duty cycle".

As an after thought, I later worked a show for the Tormek importer. I arrived before the other members of the team and set up my personal T4 and T7. Both ran continuously for two days. I was not concerned; the Tormeks (including the T4) are a hearty species.

Ken

Ukfraser

Quote from: thisguysharpens on August 21, 2020, 07:47:41 PM
Hi there,

Take my opinion with a bowl of salt as I have only one day using my T-8, but here is a thought I had when using it: as a beginner, I was going very slooooooowly with everything, which meant that the machine was spinning for most of 3 hours I think. There was a fair amount of heat I could feel, and I remember thinking that I was so happy I spent the extra money to get the T-8 (which permits for continuous running) as opposed to the T-4 (which permits only 30 minutes of run-time each hour).

Thanks ken, i was responding to this. I haven't found the time Using it to be limited so its not an issue for me but then im not using it for long periods every day. The t4 certainly meets my needs (and im keeping quiet about it to my neighbours for now!)

Ken S

Ukfraser,

The "30 minute duty cycle" predates the T4. Two things are involved. the motor is technically listed as "50% Duty". The motor on the T8 is listed as "Continuous Duty". I suspect this is the reason that Tormek has maintained the thirty minute warning in the handbook. However, the other reason was the all plastic housing of the T3, which retained the motor heat. This all plastic housing was redesigned with the T4. The new housing has a machined zinc top. The zinc top acts like a radiator and dissipates the heat. The new machined top also improves the accuracy of the machine.
Incidentally, this same machined zinc top technology later became the basis of the T8.

The heat from the old all plastic housing could cause the housing to melt. I suspect this was the real reason for the "thirty minute duty cycle".

This is why I am not concern about the thirty minute duty cycle.

Ken

Segovia123

Thanks for the feedback.

Still not sure whether to go for the T4 or the T8, price isn't that much of an issue for me and the £'s difference with the jigs I need isn't that much. I am also thinking I'll need the truing jig sooner rather than later so I am leaning towards the T8 at the moment.

J