News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Mini Plane Blades

Started by Segovia123, August 09, 2020, 08:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segovia123

I am still deliberating the Tormek purchase.

I have a couple of very small planes, the veritas miniature block plane and a similar size plane tat came via China. Both blades 1/2" wide and about 2" long

Will the standard chisel / pane blade jig work with these small blades?

Regards

John

micha

Hi John,

a friend dropped off one of these just this week.
If the plane blade is long enough you can use the standard jig. While width doesn't really matter, you'll need a protrusion of at least 1" inch, if you want to achieve a 25° angle, otherwise the jig will sit on the stone.
A blade 2" long should work just fine.

Mike

justonething

A blade of 50mm is just long enough IMHO.
As the blade is just barely long enough, I had to mark a line 30 mm from the edge and is perpendicular to the side, as the blade isn't long enough to use the notch of the square edge jig exclusively. As the attached photos, there just enough clearance to grind a 25° bevel.

Ken S

Justonething,

I agree with you about the importance of drawing a square line on the grinding wheel. Whether you use the support bar as a straightedge or a small square, drawing a 90º line on your grinding wheel can be a useful set up reference.

Also, my Tormek is no longer a sacred relic. In this set up, if the jig would not quite clear at 25°, or whatever angle I wanted, I would not hesitate to grind or file off a little of the jig for clearance. Some judgement is required. You don't want to compromise the integrity of the jig, however a millimeter or two less among friends is not a problem. I did that with the back of my SVM-45 to clear the support bar as part of modifying it to be able to use the leather honing wheel.

Ken

micha

Ken,

with the SE-77 and blades that short the first contact between wheel and Jig will be made by the left bushing.

I would not recommend grinding there too briskly ;)

Mike

Segovia123

According to the Tormek video's the SVD-110 can be used for Spokeshave blades which are a similar length to me mini blades.  The SVD-110 was on my shopping list.

jvh

Hello,

you can use SVM-45 too, but you will probably need FVB or US-430 support because of protrusion length (ca 150 mm).

jvh

Ukfraser

Can you use the flat plate that comes with the scissor jig svx-150 instead of the tool rest svd-110?

They look to be very similar in the way they lock except the slightly larger surface area of the tool rest.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ukfraser on August 26, 2020, 10:21:53 PM
Can you use the flat plate that comes with the scissor jig svx-150 instead of the tool rest svd-110?

They look to be very similar in the way they lock except the slightly larger surface area of the tool rest.

Just looking at the video... it looks like scissor jig plate could be substituted (but I don't know for sure.  Ken can probably tell...).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Yes. In fact it works better (lower center of gravity). I emailed Herman (of "Herman's Homemade Small Platform) and asked him to comment. He lives in Houston and may presently be occupied with the hurricane. He uses the scissors jig platform. I have often stated that the homemade small platform is an essential tool for all Tormek knife sharpeners. The smaller width, no more than the grinding wheel, allows both sides of the blade to be ground full length without repositioning the platform.

Ken