News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Diamond wheel grade

Started by DaveCee5k, June 28, 2020, 04:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveCee5k

Hi folks

Long time away but I'm thinking of a Tormek T8 as I would like to sharpen knives as well as drill bits etc.

Would a 600g be sufficient to use the DBS-22 with ?  Would they be water cooled thinking of rust here potentially

Thanks

Dave.

Ken S

Dave,

The Tormek diamond wheels all use Tormek's ACC (Anti Corrosion Concentrate) diluted 1:25 in water. It does an excellent job of preventing rust.

The 600 grit diamond wheel is the standard issue with Tormek's T2, the specialty machine designed for restaurants. For drill bits, it might not cut as quickly as the 360 grit DC-250. However, diamond wheels cut aggressively. I'm sure it would get the job done for you.

Ken

DaveCee5k

ega

I am thinking of getting a diamond wheel and with drill grinding in mind have havered over which one to get.
I can do rough shaping, if necessary, with the DBS-22 on the bench grinder and, given that the crucial part of the process is the correct formation of the four facet point, am minded to go for the fine diamond wheel.
Any comments before I commit to this investment, please?

Ken S

Ega,

With so many topics, I find myself wanting more information:

How many drill bits, and what size?

How much sharpening is necessary? Are these drill bits used carefully and just in need of "topping off", or have they received the all too common overuse and abuse?

Are you sharpening drill bits as a business or essential for your own use (and possibly family and/or friends)?

As with any sharpening media, Tormek wheels have a range they can handle adroitly and a larger range they can handle but with reduced efficiency. Depending on your answers, the DF-250 might handle your needs. The DC-250 will do the heavier work more quickly. Depending on the size of your wallet and your patience, the extra time may or may not be a problem.

Incidentally, I have sharpened sharpened drill bits with the SG-250. The T2 comes with a 600 grit diamond wheel. The DF-250 is certainly in the "adroit range" for knives. It may also be adroit enough for your drill bit sharpening needs. I would give it a try. You always have your bench grinder back up option. I happen to like the DC-250; you could always add one later.

Ken