News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Application wet grinding machine

Started by niklas, April 30, 2020, 08:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

niklas

Hello,
I have some questions about the wet grinding machine. I want to design a device that enables so-called measuring tips (400mm long, 8mm diameter, tip angle 30-50 °) to be ground or sharpened. The measuring tips are used in an induction furnace in which you drive on a bolt heated to over 700 ° C and measure the temperature. Through this process, these tips become dull and blurred relatively quickly and therefore often have to be reground. A device should enable this process. The idea is to rotate the measuring tip and the grindstone and grind the tip with a feed movement. My question now only relates to the grinding machine or grinding stone. Can you grind such tips on these wet grinding machines. How long does the process take compared to conventional grinding machines. The material is made of nickel or chrome. Is this wet grindstone sufficient to prevent sparks and additional cooling (e.g. using cooling lubricant)?

RichColvin

Niklas,

It can probably be done, but you would need to experiment with different grinding stones to see what works best.  My initial thought is that the diamond grindstone would be best, but I don't know what your needs are.

As for making the process very repeatable, jigs can be made, and many have been already. 

RickKrung on the forum has used motors to automate the truing of the grindstone (that was about a yr or so ago).

If you go about automating movement, consider using a stepper motor.  They give great torque at low speeds, and can be slowed more easily that a variable frequency drive.  They are also smaller and less expensive than geared motors.  For my rose engine lathe, I often run mine at speeds measured in minutes per revolution.

Stepper motors can be controlled using a controller like one from Pololu Tic.  And a rotary encoder can be used to easily control the speed.  Or it could be fixed with the Pololu's settings.

Some links to get started with that are:
Good luck.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Niklas, if you mean sharpening like sharpening a pencil, use the side of a diamond grinding wheel. Place your support bar in the Multi Base 100. Use the platform jig with a block with a hole through in it clamped to the platform jig.

Once set up, Grinding points with the same angle is automated. If all of the metal dowels need to be the same length after being sharpened, place a stop collar on the shortest one. A simple jig will allow consistent length.

Keep us posted.

Ken

RickKrung

As Rich and Ken have said, you would have to figure out just how to do it.  Without seeing what these points are like, it is difficult to get very specific.  It does sound like a modification to existing jigs might be doable, or a new, addition/modification may be necessary. 

It would be most helpful if you could post some pictures of these points.  That would help us envision ways to hold them to get them sharpened the way you need. 

I agree with Rich's recommendations about using stepper motors.  I never have used them, but I know they would work for things like this.  And I want to check them out, there just hasn't been a need and I'm too busy to fiddle with things that aren't biting my arse.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.