News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Guy, Old Gear Snagged

Started by jtyson, April 12, 2020, 09:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Jeremiah,

You are not the first forum member to forget to lock your truing tool to the support bar. I did the same thing a couple years ago. No excuse;I knew better; I just forgot. It was not pretty. My grinding wheel had an ugly gash. Worse than that, I thought I had ruined the diamond of my truing tool. In looking for a new diamond, I found a listing for what I thought was the complete truing tool for around the price of just the diamond. I ordered it, only tofind out that I had ordered a TT-50U. In fairness, the listing was clear. The error was mine. The dealer refunded the cost of the truing tool. That's how I learned the difference between the TT-50 and the TT-50U. Incidentally, when I recovered, I found that the diamond in my truing tool was OK. I had learned a good lesson.

Since then, I have never forgotten to secure the truing tool. I doubt that you will ever forget again, either. As a practical matter, you might try rotating the diamond . You might also try using a couple small electrical ties with your truing tool. (Forum member, Ionut, developed this idea several years ago.)

There is value in having a few practice tools to sharpen. I suggest a 3/4" Irwin Blue Chip chisel and a Victorinox kitchen knife. Both are reasonably priced and good quality tools. (The Blue Chip chisel, unlike many chisels, is long enough to work well in the square edge jig, even after repeated practice.

Keep learning. You will succeed.

Ken