News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SJ-200 Alternatives

Started by jobewan, March 13, 2020, 11:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobewan

Hi,

Being one of the luckiest men in the world - SWMBO bought me a Tormek T-8 Ultimate package plus the SJ-250 Japanese stone for Christmas in 2016.  When I received all this I decided I wanted to focus on learning the tool before I touched the SJ-250, so I put it away.  Life being what it is, I didn't look at it for a couple of years.  When I did look, I realized the vendor mistakenly shipped an SJ-200 instead of an SJ-250.  The invoice is for an SJ-250.  I imagine I am out of luck with the vendor, Highland Woodworking - but I do have an SJ-200 that I would love to use.   What is the least expensive Tormek unit that will accomodate this stone?  I am wondering if it is about the same money as buying an SJ-250.  Would be good to have a second machine with the SJ-200 loaded. 

Alternatively, is there a way to adapt the SJ-200 to fit my T-8? 

I realize there are restrictions on selling on this board - I am not doing that, just asking what Tormek machine would fit an SJ-200.  Thanks Folks.

Joe

jeffs55

Jeff Farris the former importer and or US distributor once said that 200 mm was the limit for a stone on the Supergrind/T2000 which would also apply to your T8. Therefore, according to him you would not be able to use the 200 mm stone you have. Of course you may be able to "just barely" use it. Your best alternative in my opinion is to sell the stone on eBay and buy the correct size. I don't think it would be cost effective to buy a T4 which is what your stone is sized for. Of course the dealer may accept your new stone in trade on the correct one which is your first option and what I would try first.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

cbwx34

Quote from: jeffs55 on March 14, 2020, 12:10:29 AM
Jeff Farris the former importer and or US distributor once said that 200 mm was the limit for a stone on the Supergrind/T2000 which would also apply to your T8. Therefore, according to him you would not be able to use the 200 mm stone you have. Of course you may be able to "just barely" use it. Your best alternative in my opinion is to sell the stone on eBay and buy the correct size. I don't think it would be cost effective to buy a T4 which is what your stone is sized for. Of course the dealer may accept your new stone in trade on the correct one which is your first option and what I would try first.

Tormek's "Free Stone" offer, requires the stone be worn down to 178mm.  Hmmmmm.  ??? 

Quote from: jobewan on March 13, 2020, 11:51:13 PM
Hi,

Being one of the luckiest men in the world - SWMBO bought me a Tormek T-8 Ultimate package plus the SJ-250 Japanese stone for Christmas in 2016.  When I received all this I decided I wanted to focus on learning the tool before I touched the SJ-250, so I put it away.  Life being what it is, I didn't look at it for a couple of years.  When I did look, I realized the vendor mistakenly shipped an SJ-200 instead of an SJ-250.  The invoice is for an SJ-250.  I imagine I am out of luck with the vendor, Highland Woodworking - but I do have an SJ-200 that I would love to use.   What is the least expensive Tormek unit that will accomodate this stone?  I am wondering if it is about the same money as buying an SJ-250.  Would be good to have a second machine with the SJ-200 loaded. 

Alternatively, is there a way to adapt the SJ-200 to fit my T-8? 

I realize there are restrictions on selling on this board - I am not doing that, just asking what Tormek machine would fit an SJ-200.  Thanks Folks.

Joe

Good news about the SJ wheel... seems to wear pretty slow, so you could get some use out of it, if the route you decide is to use it on the T-8.  No real adaption needed, I don't believe.  Maybe keep an eye on Ebay for a used T-4 (or even T-3)... see if you could get a decent deal on one?  (Not really a cheap Tormek unit vs. getting an SJ-250).

But I also would contact the dealer first... never know!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

GeoTech

I would reach out to Highland and bring to their attention their mistake. Nothing ventured nothing gained.