News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

tormek sharpening systems-how good are they?

Started by Xinanc, December 18, 2019, 12:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xinanc

I would like to here from anyone who has used or has one of these slow speed wet grind units. I learned to sharpen with a hollow bevel and still prefer it. At the present I am considering options. Tormek,slow speed grinder(1800 rpm) etc. So let's here it, what are you using and how does it work?

And one more question but it's off topic about my hobby. I'm looking for a deal on a 2 XL ice suit like at this site url  looking for some input staying warm isn't a problem so far looking for some what warm 100% water proof I've heard good things about striker and the frabill suites don't want a bulky suit

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Xinanc. You ask a good question. I believe you will find that almost everyone on this forum has at least used and probably owns at least one Tormek, or is thinking about purchasing one.

I sharpened for many years (off and on since 1960) with bench stones, first oil stones and then with water stones. Like you, I used my six inch dry grinder to grind the initial hollow grind. I used a friable white wheel to lessen the problem of overheating. Occasional overheating was still a problem.

What finally convinced me to purchase a Tormek was the pain in my hands from preparing some new chisels for a hand cut dovetails class. I also liked the water cooled, no overheating, dust free environment of the Tormek. I chose Tormek over the less expensive clones because I prefer to invest in long term quality.

1800 RPM "slow speed" grinders? Calculate the SPM (Surface feet per minute, or the metric equivalent). As wheel diameter increases, so does SFM. An 1800 RPM half speed grinder does make tool burning less likely.
Given the choice between less like and it doesn't happen, I choose the latter.

Many people, including some Tormer sharpeners, prefer to finish sharpening with bench stones. Iunderstand and respect this position, as long as it is a choice based on having mastered both methods of sharpening. I am more critical when I sense that the sharpener makes that choice because he has not learned how to do the entire process with the Tormek.

Keep asking questions. Investing in a sharpening system is a substantial and long term investment.

Ken

John_B

I sharpened knives for years using various grit wet stones. I achieved good results this way for a long time. I went with the Tormek when I decided to begin sharpening as a small business. I especially like the ability to set an edge at an exact angle. After purchasing a study by a member here found that honing at 1.5°-2° on most steels resulted in an exceptionally sharp knife. Maintaining this angle control by hand would be extremely difficult. The Tormek machine has been a great addition to my shop.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

jeffs55

I think it comes down to what you are going to sharpen. If all you want to sharpen is knives, then there are better cheaper options. I bought mine to sharpen only knives and it does a great job. The rub is that you have to set an angle and fill a water trough and if you don't have a dedicated place for this you have to move a heavy Tormek. If the knife blade is longer than about six inches, you have to fight the grinding wheel when trying to hone the edge. If you are just going to sharpen knives and nothing else, don't get a Tormek. On the other hand, the Tormek is most likely the best choice for everything else in a "one machine to do everything" format. I have used it on chisels and it excels there. Like I said, it will sharpen a knife exceptionally well but the set up is a pain and the cost is not worth it.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Stickan

Hi,
Have to respond to the comment about the comment "you have to fight the grinding wheel when trying to hone the edge."
That's only a fact on longer knives when honing with the jig. If you hone freehand on top of the honing wheel you can easily twist the blade to not touch the stone. I believe that most users do start to hone freehand when they get used and comfortable with the system.
Also, in my opinion, the RB-180 rotation base is one of the best accessories you can get for any Tormek machine. It makes the whole process of sharpening so much easier. The weight is only positive then.
We have seen a big change of users the last years and there are so many users who buys a Tormek only to sharpen knives. A great model is a T-4 Bushcraft if someone would think a T-8 would be at a to high cost. With the T-4 Bushcraft, the Knife and Ax jig is included.

Best,
Stig

John_B

My honing was done as Stig recommends until I procured a Front Vertical Base for the support bar. I now set the sharpening and honing angles precisely using measurements from a software program. Setting the distance from the adjustable base to the knife edge the same allows me to sharpen and hone without making any further adjustments. I sharpen all the knives I have, remove the stone and replace it with the spacer and then hone all the knives. I find this most productive and it is time efficient. Using the jig and support arm for honing results in exceptionally sharp blades and the process is quite repeatable.

I know this is not totally the Tormek way but I firmly believe as advanced metallurgy has changed our knives along with new stones being added to the Tormek lineup we needed to adapt our processes  to keep pace.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

I'm basically a chisel and plane blade guy who also sharpens knives. I also sharpen scissors. I know we have many on this forum who are primarily knife sharpeners. How many primarily knife sharpeners never sharpen other tools?

As a senior citizen, I understand the argument that the Tormek can be heavy. The weight can be cut in half by removing the grinding wheel before moving it. Coming in at half the weight of a T8 is the T4.

Of course, there are very workable specialized sharpening systems. I just happen to prefer the versatility of the Tormek.

John_B

My primary focus is knives, however, I also do scissors plane blades and chisel on occasion. Having a knife with a true razor edge is a joy for me and my customers to use.

Even though I have never used it another factor for me was the support from Tormek. By all accounts it is among the best in the industry and it is available worldwide. Occasionally when an issue is presented here and support is suggested they have always followed through.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Good point about support, John. I have corresponded frequently with support (support@tormek.se), both with personal questions and questions as moderator. I have always found support to be outstanding. They always handle warranty problems very efficiently. They also do more than that. I asked about the occasional problem we have had with EZYlock jamming. Support explored the problem in greater depth for me. They were able to duplicate the failure if the spacer washer was completely degreased, but not if the washer had some grease on the face toward the motor.
I believe that solved the longtime problem.

Well done Tormek support!

Ken