News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honing only with Tormek possible instead of paper?

Started by klipsch21, December 08, 2019, 01:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klipsch21

Is it possible to use only a Tormek T-8 and wootz FVB to follow his honing procedure for high end steel?
Do I have to use paper on a higher speed grinder to get same results?
Is it possible to use paper / felt / or leather on the tormek with different the different diamond compounds to follow his procedure?

Hannsi1957

If u can wait a bit till after Chrismas i will do a test with following equipment:

1. 160 grid CBN Wheel
2. 400 Gide cbn
3. 1000 grid cbn
4. feltwheel rockhard with Autosalon paste (thing around 6000 grid like Tormek paste)
5. leatherwheel with chromium oxyde green

Planed to make a video of it.

Cheers Hanns

Josu V

Quote from: klipsch21 on December 08, 2019, 01:18:31 AM
Is it possible to use only a Tormek T-8 and wootz FVB to follow his honing procedure for high end steel?

Yes

Do I have to use paper on a higher speed grinder to get same results?

Not necessary.

Is it possible to use paper / felt / or leather on the tormek with different the different diamond compounds to follow his procedure?

Absolutely, yes.
Abusus non tollit usum

RickKrung

I agree with Josu.  After chasing the paper wheel on a medium speed grinder, using different grades of diamond paste (one of the phases in Wootz' precedures), I have settled on using a rock hard felt wheel on a T8 with 1 micron diamond paste as the final honing step.  Intermediate in this is a honing step on an SJ wheel. 

In lieu of the SJ wheel, one could use another rock hard felt wheel with 5 micron diamond paste.  Something extremely close to this would be having multiple leather honing wheels with different grits of honing compound and switching out the honing wheel rather than wheels on the grinding wheel side/shaft. 

The paper wheels are still on my medium speed grinder, but have not seen much use.  I should switch back the two grinding wheels that came on it for use as a controlled angle grinder.  I have it set up with Horizontal Bases on each side, using the Tormek BGM-100 kit, that comes with the HB, USB and some metal brackets for mounting the HB.  I have not used these brackets for any installation - always wood blocks. 

Short answer, like Josu said, is "YES" to the last question. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Josu V

Quote from: RickKrung on December 22, 2019, 06:49:48 PM

In lieu of the SJ wheel, one could use another rock hard felt wheel with 5 micron diamond paste.  Something extremely close to this would be having multiple leather honing wheels with different grits of honing compound and switching out the honing wheel rather than wheels on the grinding wheel side/shaft. 

Rick

Actually, I use this system in some knives (My Paper Wheels project is in stand by until after Christmas)

Can you see description here: https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3685.msg27630#msg27630

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum

RickKrung

Quote from: Josu V on December 22, 2019, 07:30:00 PM
...snip...

Can you see description here: https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3685.msg27630#msg27630

Regards

I like it.  I recall seeing this previously, but it didn't stick.  Or probably more likely, I was too busy dealing with other stuff that I didn't think about it deeply enough to appreciate its beauty. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.