News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T4 water spillage

Started by troflog, July 21, 2019, 03:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troflog

Hello
New with Tormek. I have sharpened some knives with my new T4. Find it almost impossible to avaoid water spillage at the top of the T4. In the beginning I was not very worried, thinking that the Tormek is design for that. But have started to grow worried that it is wrong,and now I try to wipe of water all the time. Should I still be worried?. What will happend if water come inside the housing?

Ken S

You may be overfilling the water trough. I fill it only to the point where water starts to flow over the top of the grinding wheel. The wheel will quickly absorb some of this. With the motor still running, I continue to add a little water, each time stopping when the water just begins to flow over top of the wheel. Stop adding water when absorption stops. I do not use the fill level line.

Placing a small towel under your T4 (including the outboard area for long knives) will contain the remaining water. The Tormek is a hearty machine and designed to function as a wet grinder. The T4 is especially designed for this challenge with a stainless steel shaft and a non rusting housing. Your Tormek will survive; do not lose hope.

Ken

troflog

Good to hear. But generally, is it bad to get water spillage on to off the housing. This happends when I sharpen knives, and it is difficult to avoid. Can the water go through between the metal top and plast body?

Ken S

If you look at the bottom of your T4, you will see many holes. This not only helps dissipate heat, it also allows any water to drain out.

Before stainless steel shafts were introduced in 2006, rust could be a problem with Tormeks.While improper care was not the only possible cause, many users, including members of this forum,unknowingly left their grinding wheels in their water filled troughs instead of draining and cleaning the troughs between sharpening sessions. Also, I suspect that many Tormek users have been negligent about regular cleaning and regreasing of the shaft and bushings as recommended in the handbook.
Stainless steel shafts and non rusting housings have been major improvements. Good housekeeping- keeping the grinding wheel dry and water trough clean between, as well as regular cleaning and regreasing are still essential.

With only routine care, your T4 should continue working flawlessly long past the seven year warranty.

Ken

troflog

I am not very practical. Any idea of where to find instructions on how to lubricate the bearings.?

Ken S