News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

an easy alternative for odd thickness knives

Started by Ken S, July 13, 2019, 10:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

This struck me as a good backup technique to have in your pocket for knives which don't match the regular thickness of the Tormek jig.

https://youtu.be/bailuQUh2mY

Ken

Sharpco

John_B

Using your phones calculator you can easily calculate where the sandpaper bar should contact the table for your chosen angle.

Simply divide the thickness of the board the knife is sitting on by the Sin (DPS). This will tell you where the sand paper board should contact the table. You can put a piece of masking tape down for reference. This would be useful if you are not replicating the DPS angle as was shown in the video.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Good point, John.

Ever the old kenjig thinker, it seems to me that this process could be streamlined. Attach the riser board onto a base. Have the paddle with the sandpaper run back and forth in an adjustable backstop track to keep it equidistant. Using your phone calculator once, I suspect all the needed information for different knife thicknesses and two or three practical bevel angles would fit on a 3x5 card.

For day to day regular sharpening, this would certainly not be a match for a Tormek. However, for the once in a blue moon knife which did not fit the standard profile, it might be a good, inexpensive backup.

Ken